Explain molar absorptivity to a dumb physicist.

In summary: The molar absorptivity of the 2,4,6-trichlorophenol at the irradiating wavelength is 3.6x10-5 cm3/mol.
christianjb
OK chem-wizards...

I'm looking at a paper which states

"...the integrated absorptivity of the stretching vibrations of a water molecule is 4.89 cm micro mol^-1"

(I'm transcribing a 'mu' character as micro in the above. If mu doesn't stand for micro, then let me know!)

OK, so some questions:

1) Is the paper quoting an integrated 'molar absorptivity'?

2) The integration is over the frequency axis, but is this frequency in wave-numbers?

3) Is this defn. for molar absorptivity correct?

Molar Absorptivity,? = A/ c l

( where A= absorbance, c = sample concentration in moles/liter
& l = length of light path through the cuvette in cm.)

taken from http://www.cem.msu.edu/~reusch/VirtualText/Spectrpy/UV-Vis/uvspec.htm

4) According to this Wikipedia article, absorbance is calculated as a base 10 logarithm of I/I0. Is that defn. universally used?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorbance

5) I can't understand the units. If A=absorption and alpha = absorption coefficient and L=sample length, then A=alpha L, so that means that alpha is in units of inverse length.

If e=absorptivity, and c is the concentration in mols per liter and e=A/cL=alpha/c, then e is in units of mols^-1 liters ^-1 cm^-1. Thus, I'd expect the integrated absorptivity to be in mols^-1 liters^ -1 cm ^-2, given that the integral is over wavenumbers which have units of cm^-1.

6) Basically what I want is to convert the number in the paper into a value for the absorption coefficient.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I should add, this is from an IR experiment.

The absorbance, A, is the exponent that is seen in the Beer-Lambert equation.

[tex]I = I_0 ~e^{-\kappa x} = I_0 ~e^{-A} [/tex]

The extinction coefficient, K , is often proportional to the concentration of the solution over a wide range of values, allowing us to write [itex]\kappa=M \alpha [/itex], where M is the molar concentration in Mol/Liter and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is what is usually called the molar absortivity.

Since A is dimensionless, [itex]\alpha[/itex] has units of cm2/mol (ignoring a multiplier of 100 or 1000 depending on actual units used) and the integrated molar absorptivity [itex] \int { \alpha dk} [/itex], where [itex]k=2\pi/\lambda[/itex] has units of cm/mol.

Last edited:
Thanks! I will take a good look at this later.

Again, thanks. I finally got back to looking at this tonight and your explanation was enough for me to make the correct conversions in the paper I'm writing.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me what is the molar absorptivity at the irradiating wavelength for the 2,4,6-trichlorophenol? I use wavelength 293nm to detect the concentration of this chemical in a UV-Vis Spectrophotometer. Thank you.

Cheers
Collin

What is molar absorptivity?

Molar absorptivity, also known as molar extinction coefficient, is a measure of how strongly a substance absorbs light at a specific wavelength. It is a physical property that is unique to each substance and is used to quantify the concentration of a substance in a solution.

How is molar absorptivity calculated?

Molar absorptivity is calculated by dividing the absorbance of a solution by the concentration and the path length of the light through the solution. This can be expressed as A/(c*l), where A is the absorbance, c is the concentration, and l is the path length in centimeters. The unit for molar absorptivity is typically M-1 cm-1.

What is the relationship between molar absorptivity and concentration?

Molar absorptivity and concentration have a direct relationship. This means that as the concentration of a substance increases, the molar absorptivity also increases. This is because a higher concentration of a substance will result in more light being absorbed.

How does molar absorptivity differ from absorbance?

Molar absorptivity and absorbance are related but different concepts. Absorbance is a measure of how much light is absorbed by a substance at a specific wavelength, while molar absorptivity is a measure of the substance's ability to absorb light. Absorbance is dependent on the concentration of the solution, while molar absorptivity is a constant for a particular substance at a specific wavelength.

Why is molar absorptivity important in scientific research?

Molar absorptivity is a crucial parameter in many scientific experiments, particularly in the fields of chemistry and biochemistry. It is used to determine the concentration of a substance in a solution, as well as to identify and characterize unknown substances. Molar absorptivity is also used in spectroscopy techniques, such as UV-Vis spectroscopy, to quantify the amount of light absorbed by a sample.