Do you agree with the legalization of stem cell research in New South Wales?

In summary, the New South Wales bill legalizes stem cell research in the state. This is controversial in the US, but is legal in other countries.
susperia_knvb
ok... here is something interesting. I take it most of you haven't heard, but the most populated state in australia (New South Wales) has just passed a bill (act of parliament) through the lower house to legalise stem cell research in the state. Do you agree or disagree with this?

Personally, i think stem cells are the best thing we can research with. Is it true that it is possible to get the cells off the umbilical cord which are better than any from an embryo. Diseases need to be cured and if stem cells save us... i think that's what needs to be done

Physics news on Phys.org
What type of stem cells does the New South Wales law address? I'll bet it is embryonic stem cells - human. Is this type of research illegal in Australia? It isn't in the USA, although you would think it is from all the hype surrounding the issue.

I am all for all forms of stem cell research.

chemisttree said:
What type of stem cells does the New South Wales law address? I'll bet it is embryonic stem cells - human. Is this type of research illegal in Australia? It isn't in the USA, although you would think it is from all the hype surrounding the issue.
Are you aware of the limitations on embryonic stem cell research in the US?
Under current policy, imposed by Bush on Aug. 9, 2001, federally funded scientists can work only on embryonic stem cells obtained from the approximately 20 colonies of cells in existence as of that date.

Congress has tried again to pass a bill that would allow scientists to use donated embryos.
The House easily passed legislation yesterday that would loosen President Bush's six-year-old restrictions on embryonic stem cell research, but the vote once again fell short of the two-thirds majority needed to override a promised veto.

Bush immediately renewed his pledge to veto the bill, which passed 247 to 176, and matches language approved by the Senate in April.

George Bush - "I am disappointed the leadership of Congress recycled an old bill that would simply overturn our country's carefully balanced policy on embryonic stem cell research," the statement said. It added that under the bill, "American taxpayers would for the first time in our history be compelled to support the deliberate destruction of human embryos. Crossing that line would be a grave mistake. For that reason, I will veto the bill passed today."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/07/AR2007060701199.html

See also
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13934199/

"This bill would support the taking of innocent human life in the hope of finding medical benefits for others," Bush said in announcing his veto. "It crosses a moral boundary that our decent society needs to respect."

Evo said:
Are you aware of the limitations on embryonic stem cell research in the US?

Yes, its not illegal.

Evo said:
Congress has tried again to pass a bill that would allow scientists to use donated embryos.

C'mon Evo, be more precise! Should read, "Congress has tried again to pass a bill that would allow scientists to obtain federal funding to use donated embryos." This kind of research can be done in California (New Jersey, Conneticut, Virginia and Indiana as well) any time you can obtain funding from the State. Privately funded research is still allowed. Federal funds can be obtained to use the existing lines. How is this so limiting?

Last edited:
im personally very for stem cells and research with them i think they are a great step forward for humankind as a race.
but we were doing this ethical debate in a theory of knowledge class a few weeks ago... it seems some people (especially those who can't have babies) are very against it.

its only (pending approval in the upper house) legal in New South Wales of australia.. no where else yet.
The cardinal who resides in Sydney spoke out quite harshly about it claiming that any catholics who support it should not be eligable for communion in church... wow

Well, let's all pray that the Cardinal gets a rare disease that only stem cell research can cure. Maybe then he will change his tune. Honestly, society should not tolerate this kind of stuff, especially when it comes to significant medical advancements.

This reminds me of the church against people cutting up dead bodies to study them back in the middle ages. Its a good thing we have made steps forward since then.

[/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Another Presidential veto, this time in disguise. It is blatantly obvious that he is advocating his own religious views, distorting scientific research into a subject that very well may produce the biggest discoveries in medicine since learning to wash your hands.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/20/bush.stem.cell.ap/index.html[/URL]
[PLAIN]http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/06/21/stem.cells.ap/index.html[/URL]

After three days the fertilized egg has about 150 cells and is called a blastocyst. In contrast, the brain of a fly has about 100000 cells. Also, if one is concerned about 'killing' the fertilized egg, one is actually creating a Holocaust every time you scratch your arm or blow your nose.

I think that the personal opinions of a religious fundamentalist should not outweigh the needs of humanity, especially with so much evidence on the table for the promise of stem cells.

[url]http://www.nature.com/stemcells/index.html[/url]
[PLAIN]http://stemcells.nih.gov/info/scireport/2006report.htm[/URL]
[PLAIN]http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2001/stemcell/[/URL]

Private funding can only go so far. This project needs US federal funding.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is stem cell research?

Stem cell research is a field of scientific study that involves the use of stem cells to understand how cells develop and function, and to develop potential medical treatments for various diseases and injuries.

What are stem cells?

Stem cells are a type of unspecialized cells that have the ability to develop into different types of cells in the body. They can be found in various parts of the body, such as bone marrow, umbilical cord blood, and embryos.

What are the potential benefits of stem cell research?

Stem cell research has the potential to lead to new treatments and cures for a wide range of diseases and injuries, such as Parkinson's disease, heart disease, and spinal cord injuries. It can also help scientists better understand how the body functions and how diseases develop.

What are the ethical concerns surrounding stem cell research?

Some people have ethical concerns about the use of embryonic stem cells, which are obtained from embryos that are a few days old. These concerns revolve around the destruction of the embryo and the potential for human cloning. However, there are also alternative sources of stem cells, such as adult stem cells and induced pluripotent stem cells, which do not raise the same ethical concerns.

What is the current state of stem cell research?

Stem cell research is a rapidly evolving field, with ongoing studies and clinical trials. While there have been some promising developments, there is still much to learn about stem cells and their potential applications. It is important for continued research and ethical considerations to be balanced in order to fully understand and utilize the potential of stem cells.