Preparing for a Hobby in Theoretical Physics: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter alfiejohn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicist
In summary: If you understand them you will be a very good physicist.In summary, the conversation discusses the path and resources for becoming a theoretical physicist, including the recommendation of Zapher's guide and the books Modern Algebra, Calculus, Geometry, and Statistics, as well as the completion of 'Course of Theoretical Physics' by Landau and Lif****z. However, there is some questioning of the usefulness of algebra in theoretical physics and alternative recommendations for mathematical physics oriented books.
alfiejohn
Hi guys,

I've read the 'who wants to be a mathematician' thread, which mentions Zapher's guide to 'who wants to be a physicist' but can't find it anywhere.

My end goal is to become a hobbist in theoretical physicist, but it's been so long since I've done any math and since I'm a bit of a purist, I've decided to start from scratch. Here is the path that I'm aiming for:

1. Modern Algebra (Seth Warner)
2. Calculus (Apostle or Spivak)
3. Geometry (haven't decided)
4. Statistics (haven't decided)

Once my math is up to scratch, I plan on completing 'Course of Theoretical Physics' by Landau and Lif****z.

Any comments on whether or not this will get me to my end goal?

Alfie

Physics news on Phys.org
alfiejohn said:
I've read the 'who wants to be a mathematician' thread, which mentions Zapher's guide to 'who wants to be a physicist' but can't find it anywhere.
Here you go: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=51406

That thread should be a sticky.

"Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" :(

My bad--that thread was deleted. :frown:

But if it's OK with Zz, here's a link that might work for you: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df5w5j9q_5gj6wmt

Being more on the experimental side, I really have no idea what would be a good preparation for theoretical physics. But if I may ask, why do you want to learn algebra (that is, formal algebra, not "school algebra")? I know that theoretical physicists tend to use a few tools from algebra like group theory. But for the most part, I'm not sure that this would be all that useful, since most of us who learned physics in school usually picked up the math on the fly. I was a math major in my undergraduate, and while the math I learned was interesting in its own right, most of my classes weren't particularly helpful for physics purposes. For example, I learned most of my calculus, differential equations, and partial differential equations from my physics classes. There were a few useful math classes I took, like complex variables, applied linear algebra, and numerical analysis. However, in general I've found that math math is different from physics math.

Anyway, I'm really no expert, since I'm only a first year grad student. But it seems to me that algebra might not be the most useful tool for theoretical physics.

You may want to check out the books I recommend in this thread.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179776

They are precisely the books I used on a similar path to yours (a rigorous treatment of the mathematics necessary for physics). To that list, I'd recommend the standard graduate level analysis books also recommended in the above thread (rudin/royden).

If you want less pure math, and more mathematical physics oriented books, some standards are:
Arfken - Mathematical Methods for Physicists
Mathews/Walker - Mathematical Methods of Physics
Byron/Fuller - Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics

I haven't used Landau for the main physics texts. I used:
Shankar for QM
Arnold (Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics) for mechanics
Jackson (Classical Electrodynamics) for EM

Last edited:
Doc Al said:
My bad--that thread was deleted. :frown:

But if it's OK with Zz, here's a link that might work for you: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=df5w5j9q_5gj6wmt

Wow, thanks for that link and thanks to Zz for writing it.

landau and lifshiz are very difficult texts.

1. What is a physicist?

A physicist is a scientist who studies the fundamental principles and laws that govern the natural world. They use mathematical models and experimental methods to understand the behavior of matter and energy at all scales, from the very small (such as atoms and subatomic particles) to the very large (such as planets and galaxies).

2. What education is required to become a physicist?

To become a physicist, you typically need to earn a bachelor's degree in physics or a related field, such as engineering or mathematics. Many physicists also go on to earn a graduate degree, such as a master's or Ph.D., in order to specialize in a particular subfield of physics.

3. What career opportunities are available for physicists?

Physicists have a wide range of career opportunities available to them. Many work in research and development, either in academia or in the private sector. Others work in fields such as engineering, finance, or healthcare, applying their knowledge of physics to solve real-world problems.

4. What skills are important for a physicist to have?

Some key skills for physicists include strong mathematical and analytical abilities, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail. They also need to have good communication skills in order to present their research findings and collaborate with other scientists.

5. What is the role of a physicist in society?

Physicists play a crucial role in society by helping us understand the natural world and developing new technologies that improve our lives. They contribute to advancements in fields such as medicine, energy, and telecommunications, and their research often leads to new discoveries and innovations that benefit humanity as a whole.