Equations to do with the z distance of a screw helix.

In summary, the question is asking for the torque needed to turn a screw with a distance between threads of 0.2mm, when it takes 10Nm of torque to turn a screw with a distance between threads of 0.1mm and a rotation of 2pi radians. The solution involves finding the ratio of the diagonal distance of metal driven into the material and multiplying it by the initial torque. However, there is uncertainty about whether the distance refers to the screw descending or the threads increasing in separation. The question also involves understanding the forces acting on a screw, such as leverage.
BlackWyvern

Homework Statement

You have a screw with the distance between the threads being equal to 0.1mm. It takes a torque of 10Nm to turn the screw about 2pi radians. What would the torque be to turn a screw with the z distance equal to 0.2mm. Explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to do this at all. I guess we can assume that the resistive force we have to overcome is proportional to the length of metal we are driving into the material. So by that logic, and a simplification:

If we took the z index as the height of a rectangle, and the circumference of the screw as the width, the diagonal distance would be the distance of metal that goes through the wood. So we just find the ratio of the second diagonal, to the first, and multiply the Torque by this? Or is there something I'm missing, this seems too easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the distance between the threads is measured as a z distance then one would expect that for each full turn the screw would move a distance of 0.1mm. However I am a bit perplexed by the question since that is not made clearand also does it mean the screw descends 0.2mm or the threads increase in separation to 0.2mm?

The screw would move down 0.1mm. But, the thread on the screw would move though more than that. This question is about ratios, and then applying them. But I just don't know much about screws and the forces on them. I know that they are a lever, but that's about it.

1. What is the equation for calculating the z distance of a screw helix?

The equation for calculating the z distance of a screw helix is z = p * tan(α), where z is the z distance, p is the pitch of the helix, and α is the helix angle.

2. How do I determine the pitch of a screw helix?

The pitch of a screw helix can be determined by measuring the distance between two adjacent threads on the helix and dividing it by the number of threads.

3. Can the helix angle affect the z distance of a screw helix?

Yes, the helix angle can affect the z distance of a screw helix. A larger helix angle will result in a larger z distance, while a smaller helix angle will result in a smaller z distance.

4. What is the significance of the z distance in a screw helix?

The z distance in a screw helix is the vertical distance between two adjacent threads on the helix. It is an important measurement as it determines the height of the helix and can affect the overall functionality and stability of the screw.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the z distance of a screw helix?

Aside from the pitch and helix angle, the diameter of the screw and the number of threads on the helix can also affect the z distance. A larger diameter or a higher number of threads will result in a larger z distance.