Unifying M-Theory & Quantum Mechanics for Structure of Universe

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the discussion revolved around the question of how to unify the M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics models of universe formation and structure. The poster, who is a sophomore with limited knowledge in math, proposed the idea of strings and parallel universes colliding to create new universes. However, the expert cautioned that these theories are highly complex and still being developed and tested. Some possible ideas for unifying the two models were mentioned, such as brane collisions and holographic universes. The relationship between strings and membranes was also clarified. Overall, the expert encourages the poster to continue studying and exploring these theories while keeping an open mind.
Toastus
I am a Sophomore (not the college type) and I know next to nothing about the math that is involved here. But this is my career goal, so I am studying it as much as I possibly can.

Now what I want to know is how to unify the M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics models of universe formation and structure. What I've read says that strings are bound to a membrane (at least the open strings are) and that when two membranes touch, they make another membrane with a universe on/ in it (which ever way that works). And Quantum Mechanics says that for every possibility creates a new universe. So how would these two methods of universe creation go together? Of course string theory hasn't been completely finished yet, I just wanted to know if this part had been done yet.

I don't know the math, but I worked out a way that it may work. Say you have one string. It is tied to a membrane, and all its counterparts from parallel universes are next to it. So they bump into each other, which explains the way particles suddenly change direction or teleport. So since all the universes are occupying the same space, I guess weird stuff would happen, and they would either switch places, or bump each other. And the reason we don't see all the strings is because one of the dimensions they vibrate in has something to do with the universe they are in/ causes everything to be separated into universes. So all these universes have the same laws, just different histories.

And the different membranes have different laws of physics.

Am I just a total idiot who wants to know what's going on? Or am I actually on to something?

P.S. Are the strings tied to the membrane or actually inside it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interest in the M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics models of universe formation and structure. It is great to see young minds like yours delving into the complexities of theoretical physics.

First of all, I want to assure you that you are not an idiot. Your curiosity and desire to understand the universe is commendable. However, I must also caution you that the theories of M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics are highly complex and require a strong understanding of advanced mathematics to fully grasp them. It is important to continue studying and building your mathematical skills in order to fully comprehend these theories.

Now, to address your question about unifying these two models. Currently, there is no definitive answer to this question as both theories are still being developed and tested. However, there are some proposed ideas on how they may be connected.

One idea is the concept of brane collisions, where two branes (membranes) collide and create a new universe. This idea incorporates elements of both M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics. However, it is important to note that this is still a hypothetical concept and has not been fully proven.

Another idea is the concept of holographic universes, which suggests that our three-dimensional universe is actually a projection of information stored on a two-dimensional surface. This idea also incorporates elements of both theories, but again, it is still a theoretical concept.

As for your proposed explanation involving strings and parallel universes, it is an interesting idea but it has not been explored in depth by scientists. It is important to keep in mind that while parallel universes are a popular concept in science fiction, there is currently no scientific evidence to support their existence.

In terms of the strings, they are not tied to the membrane but rather exist within the membrane. The strings are one-dimensional objects that vibrate in higher dimensions, and the membranes are two-dimensional objects that vibrate in higher dimensions as well.

In conclusion, while your ideas are intriguing, they are still speculative and require further research and mathematical analysis to determine their validity. I encourage you to continue studying and exploring these theories, but also to keep an open mind and be willing to revise your ideas as new evidence and discoveries emerge.

Best of luck in your studies and pursuit of understanding the universe.

First of all, I want to applaud your enthusiasm and curiosity about the field of theoretical physics. It is a complex and challenging field, and it takes a lot of dedication and hard work to understand the concepts and math involved.

To address your question, the unification of M-theory and quantum mechanics is a topic that is still being actively researched by scientists. M-theory, also known as the "theory of everything," is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify all the different branches of physics, including quantum mechanics and general relativity.

At this point, there is no definitive answer on how M-theory and quantum mechanics fit together, as both theories are still being developed and refined. However, there are several proposed ideas and models that attempt to reconcile the two theories.

One idea is called "brane cosmology," which is based on the concept that our universe is a three-dimensional "brane" (short for membrane) that exists within a higher-dimensional space. This idea is in line with M-theory, which proposes that there are 11 dimensions in total. In this model, the strings that make up everything in our universe are actually tied to or embedded in the brane, rather than being separate entities.

Another proposed model is called the "many worlds interpretation," which is based on the idea that every possible outcome of a quantum event actually occurs in a different universe. This idea is in line with quantum mechanics, which states that the behavior of particles is described by probabilities rather than definite outcomes.

It is worth noting that these are just a few of the proposed ideas and there are many others being explored by scientists. As for your own idea of branes and strings interacting, it is always good to have creative and outside-the-box thinking in science, but it is important to also consider the existing theories and evidence before proposing new ideas.

In terms of the math involved, it is a crucial component of understanding and developing these theories. As a sophomore, it is understandable that you may not have a strong background in advanced mathematics yet, but it is something that you will need to continue studying and developing as you pursue a career in theoretical physics.

In conclusion, you are not a total idiot for wanting to understand the complexities of M-theory and quantum mechanics. These are challenging and complex topics, and it will take a lot of hard work and dedication to fully grasp them. Keep studying and learning, and who knows, you may even contribute to the unification of these theories in the future

1. What is M-Theory and how does it relate to Quantum Mechanics?

M-Theory is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the five different versions of string theory. It is an extension of the idea of supersymmetry in quantum field theory. M-Theory incorporates elements of both general relativity and quantum mechanics to provide a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental structure of the universe.

2. How does M-Theory explain the structure of the universe?

M-Theory proposes that the universe is made up of tiny, vibrating strings instead of point-like particles. These strings exist in 11 dimensions, with 10 spatial dimensions and one time dimension. This theory also suggests that there may be multiple universes, or a multiverse, existing in parallel to our own.

3. What are the key differences between M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics?

M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics are both theories that attempt to explain the fundamental nature of the universe, but they approach it from different perspectives. Quantum Mechanics focuses on the behavior of particles at the subatomic level, while M-Theory looks at the universe as a whole and attempts to unify different theories to provide a more comprehensive understanding.

4. What are some potential implications of unifying M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics?

If M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics can be successfully unified, it would provide a more complete understanding of the universe and potentially solve some of the mysteries that currently exist in physics. This could also lead to advancements in technology and a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of nature.

5. Is there any evidence to support the unification of M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics?

Currently, there is no direct evidence to support the unification of M-Theory and Quantum Mechanics. However, some aspects of M-Theory, such as supersymmetry and the existence of extra dimensions, have been supported by experimental evidence. Further research and experimentation are needed to fully test the validity of this theory.