Conformal Transformation of the metric (General Relativity)

We can then use the relation for the conformal killing equation:\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}=\frac{2}{\omega}(\delta^{r}_{b}\nabla_{a}\omega-\delta^{r}_{a}\nabla_{b}\omega)k_{r}+\omega^{2}k_{a}\nabla_{b}a(x)+\omega^{2}k_{b}\nabla_{a}a(x)This is the desired result
chronnox

Homework Statement

I need to prove that if two metrics are related by an overall conformal transformation of the form [tex]\overline{g}_{ab}=e^{a(x)}g_{ab}[/tex] and if [tex]k^{a}[/tex] is a killing vector for the metric [tex]g_{ab}[/tex] then [tex]k^{a}[/tex] is a conformal killing vector for the metric [tex]\overline{g}_{ab}[/tex]

Homework Equations

killing equation
killing conformal equation

The Attempt at a Solution

i think i need to show that
[tex]\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_ {a}=(k^{r}\nabla_{r}a(x))\overline{g}_{ab}[/tex]

which as far as i understand is the killing conformal equation for the metric [tex]\overline{g}_{ab}[/tex]

so using the relation [tex]\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}=\nabla_{a}k_{b}-C^{r}_{ab}k_{r}[/tex]

where [tex]C^{r}_{ab}[/tex] are the connection coefficients for the conformal transformation, i.e., if [tex]\overline{g}_{ab}=\omega^{2}g_{ab}[/tex] then:

[tex]C^{r}_{ab}=\omega^{-1}(\delta^{r}_{a}\nabla_{b}\omega+\delta^{r}_{b}\nabla_{a}\omega-g_{ab}g^{rc}\nabla_{c}\omega)[/tex] if i substitute this in [tex]\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_ {a}[/tex]

and use killing equation for the metric [tex]g_{ab}[/tex] i obtain:

[tex]\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}=-k_{a}\nabla_{b}a(x)-k_{b}\nabla_{a}a(x)+(k^{r}\nabla_{r}a(x))g_{ab}[/tex]

which is not the conformal killing equation for [tex]\overline{g}_{ab}[/tex] so I am lost , can anyone help me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Your approach is on the right track, but there are a few mistakes in your calculations. Let me walk you through the correct solution:

First, let's start with the killing equation for the metric g_{ab}:

\nabla_{a}k_{b}+\nabla_{b}k_{a}=0

Next, we can use the relation for the conformal transformation of the connection coefficients:

C^{r}_{ab}=\omega^{-1}(\delta^{r}_{a}\nabla_{b}\omega+\delta^{r}_{b}\nabla_{a}\omega-g_{ab}g^{rc}\nabla_{c}\omega)

Substituting this into the equation for \overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_ {a}, we get:

\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}=\nabla_{a}k_{b}-C^{r}_{ab}k_{r}+\nabla_{b}k_{a}-C^{r}_{ba}k_{r}

Notice that the first two terms cancel out by the killing equation for g_{ab}. So we are left with:

\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}=-C^{r}_{ba}k_{r}

Next, we can use the relation for the conformal transformation of the metric:

\overline{g}_{ab}=\omega^{2}g_{ab}

This gives us the following relation for the connection coefficients:

C^{r}_{ab}=\frac{2}{\omega}(\delta^{r}_{a}\nabla_{b}\omega+\delta^{r}_{b}\nabla_{a}\omega-g_{ab}g^{rc}\nabla_{c}\omega)

Substituting this into the equation for \overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_ {a}, we get:

\overline{\nabla}_{a}k_{b}+\overline{\nabla}_{b}k_{a}=-\frac{2}{\omega}(\delta^{r}_{b

1. What is a conformal transformation of the metric in General Relativity?

A conformal transformation of the metric is a mathematical operation that changes the shape of a metric without altering the underlying geometry of a space. In General Relativity, this transformation is used to simplify the equations describing the curvature of spacetime.

2. How is a conformal transformation different from other transformations in General Relativity?

A conformal transformation differs from other transformations, such as diffeomorphisms, in that it does not change the underlying physical properties of spacetime. It only changes the scale and shape of the metric, while preserving the overall geometry.

3. What are the benefits of using conformal transformations in General Relativity?

Conformal transformations can greatly simplify the equations of General Relativity, making it easier to solve complex problems. They can also reveal hidden symmetries and relationships between different solutions to the equations.

4. Are conformal transformations always applicable in General Relativity?

No, conformal transformations are only applicable in certain situations where the underlying geometry of spacetime is preserved. For example, they cannot be used in the presence of matter or energy, as they would change the overall curvature of spacetime.

5. How do conformal transformations relate to the cosmological principle in General Relativity?

The cosmological principle states that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales. Conformal transformations allow us to impose this principle on the equations of General Relativity, making it easier to study the overall structure and evolution of the universe.