Ordinary differential equation:

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the general solution for the equation (1-x)y' = y^2. The attempt at a solution involves integrating both sides and using ln on the constant at the right side. However, the mistake in the solution is not taking into account the chain rule when differentiating ln(1-x), resulting in a different answer compared to the one in the back of the book.
Edwardo_Elric

Homework Statement

Obtain the general solution:
[tex](1 - x)y' = y^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](1 - x)\frac{dy}{dx} = y^2[/tex]

[tex](1 - x)dy = y^2dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2} = \frac{dx}{(1-x)}[/tex]
integrating both sides:

i used ln on the constant at the right side
[tex]-\frac{1}{y} = \ln(1 - x) + \ln{c}[/tex]

so my answer is:
[tex]-1 = y\ln{(c(1 - x))}[/tex]

the answer seems to be different at the back of my book w/c is
[tex] 1 = y\ln{(c(1 - x))}[/tex] <<< no negative as before

can you tell me what's wrong with my soln?

Physics news on Phys.org
Edwardo_Elric said:

Homework Statement

Obtain the general solution:
[tex](1 - x)y' = y^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex](1 - x)\frac{dy}{dx} = y^2[/tex]

[tex](1 - x)dy = y^2dx[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dy}{y^2} = \frac{dx}{(1-x)}[/tex]
integrating both sides:

i used ln on the constant at the right side
[tex]-\frac{1}{y} = \ln(1 - x) + \ln{c}[/tex]
Here is the problem. What do you get if you differentiate ln(1-x)? (Don't forget to use the chain rule!)

so my answer is:
[tex]-1 = y\ln{(c(1 - x))}[/tex]

the answer seems to be different at the back of my book w/c is
[tex] 1 = y\ln{(c(1 - x))}[/tex] <<< no negative as before

can you tell me what's wrong with my soln?

oh yeah! forgot about that thanks a lot :D

1. What is an ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

An ordinary differential equation (ODE) is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes with respect to another variable. It involves derivatives of a single independent variable and is commonly used in many fields of science to model and predict the behavior of systems.

2. What are the types of ordinary differential equations?

The types of ordinary differential equations include first-order, second-order, higher-order, and systems of equations. First-order ODEs involve only first derivatives, while second-order ODEs involve second derivatives. Higher-order ODEs involve derivatives of higher orders, and systems of equations involve a group of interconnected ODEs.

3. How are ordinary differential equations solved?

There is no general method for solving all types of ODEs. However, some techniques such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series can be used to solve specific types of ODEs. Additionally, numerical methods such as Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and finite difference methods can be used to approximate solutions.

4. What are the applications of ordinary differential equations?

ODEs are used in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, biology, engineering, and economics, to model and predict the behavior of systems. They are also used in the development of mathematical models for real-world problems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits.

5. What is the difference between ordinary differential equations and partial differential equations?

The main difference between ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs) is the number of independent variables. ODEs involve derivatives of a single independent variable, while PDEs involve derivatives of multiple independent variables. PDEs are commonly used to describe systems in which variables vary in multiple dimensions, such as heat transfer and fluid dynamics.