Reduce Iron in Water: Chlorination or Filtration?

In summary: We also use a secondary filter to remove any residual chlorine and iron. So, in summary, chlorination removes iron and chlorine, followed by a filter to remove any residual iron.
pijoe
as i know, ferrous iron (Fe2+) will convert to ferric iron (Fe3+) if we mix water contain iron (such as groundwater) with chlorine. then the water should go through filtration process to filter the extractable iron (Fe3+). that how we can reduce the content of iron in water.

my question is...which process is reduced the iron content? chlorination or filtration? because as what i understand, the chlorination process will convert Fe2+ to Fe3+ only, the content of iron still not change. But the process that remove the iron in water is filtration.

am i right? because when i put some chlorine in water and then i tested it without go through filtration process, i figure out that the iron level in the water was already reduced, and reduce more when i filtered it. is that chlorination process can reduce level of iron in water by itself without filtration process?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
pijoe said:
as i know, ferrous iron (Fe2+) will convert to ferric iron (Fe3+) if we mix water contain iron (such as groundwater) with chlorine. then the water should go through filtration process to filter the extractable iron (Fe3+). that how we can reduce the content of iron in water.

my question is...which process is reduced the iron content? chlorination or filtration? because as what i understand, the chlorination process will convert Fe2+ to Fe3+ only, the content of iron still not change. But the process that remove the iron in water is filtration.

am i right? because when i put some chlorine in water and then i tested it without go through filtration process, i figure out that the iron level in the water was already reduced, and reduce more when i filtered it. is that chlorination process can reduce level of iron in water by itself without filtration process?

[tex]Fe^{3+}[/tex] precipitates as hydroxide because this is much more insoluble than that of [tex]Fe^{2+}[/tex].
[tex]Fe^{3+} + 3H_2O --> Fe(OH)_3 + 3H^{+}[/tex]

chlorination without filtration: is it works?

thank you for your reply.

but i want to know whether chlorination process can reduce the level of iron concentration in groundwater by itself or not? i mean without followed by filtration process.

pijoe said:

but i want to know whether chlorination process can reduce the level of iron concentration in groundwater by itself or not? i mean without followed by filtration process.
My house sits a top a huge deposit of iron and manganese ore. We must use a green sand (potassium permanganate) filter to remove the Fe and Mn. In addition, we have to eliminate Ni and Cd (not sure of the source). Following that, we have a water sofener.

I'm not sure what one is asking. The chemical process is necessary between the well and home distribution system. One really cannot change the chemical nature of the groundwater - there is just too much water coming from an even larger volume of ground.

If one could remove the Fe from groundwater, where would it go?

The only way to get reduced Fe in water is to find a geographic location in a geological formation that does not contain Fe. I worked in a municipal water production facility, which supplied a small town of about 40,000 people. The water source was an underground acquifer that had naturally soft water (Na) and low heavy metal content.

pijoe said:

No; chlorination just oxidize Fe2+ to Fe3+.

Last edited:
Use green sand filter. the disadvantage is that you need to generate it using potassium permanganate solution.

pijoe said:

We are on a well system where the water has a high iron content. In our chlorinated water treatment system, our primary filter is actually the reaction vessel [for the chlorine and iron] in which a good portion of the iron precipitates out of the fluid stream before the filters. Perhaps you were losing some iron as a precipitate.

1. How does chlorination reduce iron in water?

Chlorination is a process that involves adding chlorine to water in order to disinfect and remove impurities. In the case of reducing iron in water, the chlorine reacts with the iron to form a precipitate, which can then be filtered out.

2. Is chlorination or filtration more effective for reducing iron in water?

Both chlorination and filtration can be effective methods for reducing iron in water. However, the most effective method may depend on the specific concentration of iron and other factors such as pH and water temperature.

3. Are there any potential health risks associated with using chlorine to reduce iron in water?

Chlorine is generally safe for use in drinking water when used in appropriate amounts. However, there is a potential risk of forming disinfection byproducts, which can be harmful in high concentrations. It is important to carefully follow recommended guidelines for chlorine use.

4. How often should I chlorinate or filter my water to reduce iron?

The frequency of chlorination or filtration for reducing iron in water may vary depending on the specific situation. It is recommended to regularly test the water for iron levels and adjust the treatment accordingly. Additionally, factors such as water usage and source may also affect the frequency of treatment.

5. Can I use both chlorination and filtration together to reduce iron in water?

Yes, combining chlorination and filtration can be an effective method for reducing iron in water. The chlorine will help to precipitate the iron, making it easier to filter out. This method may be particularly useful for higher levels of iron or in cases where one method alone is not effective enough.