Derivative of the metric tensor

In summary, the inconsistency in the reasoning is that when calculating the normal derivative of the metric tensor, the right hand side is given as: \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma} = g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + 2 \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}, but when calculating the derivative of the metric tensor with respect to the normal, it is given as: g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} = -\partial_\mu g^
Santiago
Could anybody help to spot the inconsistency in the following reasoning?

When calculating the normal derivative of the metric tensor I get:

[tex] \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma} = g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + 2 \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}, [/tex] (1)

which means that:

[tex] g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} = -\partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}. [/tex] (2)

And I don't see how this could be.

That's how I get this result:

[tex]
\partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma} =
\partial_\mu (g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} g_{\lambda \gamma}) =
g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + g^{\rho \lambda} g_{\lambda \gamma} \partial_\mu g^{\sigma \gamma} + g_{\lambda \gamma} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g^{\rho \lambda} =
g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + \delta^\rho_\gamma \partial_\mu g^{\sigma \gamma} + \delta^\sigma_\lambda \partial_\mu g^{\rho \lambda} =
[/tex]
[tex]
= g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + 2 \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}.
[/tex] (3)

Could anybody show how to get directly the right hand side of equation (2) from the left hand side, or show where the mistake in the equation (3) is?

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
Santiago said:

[tex] \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma} = g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + 2 \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}, [/tex] (1)

which means that:

[tex] g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} = -\partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}. [/tex] (2)

That's how I get this result:

[tex]
\partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma} =
\partial_\mu (g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} g_{\lambda \gamma}) =
g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + g^{\rho \lambda} g_{\lambda \gamma} \partial_\mu g^{\sigma \gamma} + g_{\lambda \gamma} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g^{\rho \lambda} =
g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + \delta^\rho_\gamma \partial_\mu g^{\sigma \gamma} + \delta^\sigma_\lambda \partial_\mu g^{\rho \lambda} =
[/tex]
[tex]
= g^{\rho \lambda} g^{\sigma \gamma} \partial_\mu g_{\lambda \gamma} + 2 \partial_\mu g^{\rho \sigma}.
[/tex] (3)

Could anybody show how to get directly the right hand side of equation (2) from the left hand side, or show where the mistake in the equation (3) is?

Thanks a lot.

Unless I've misunderstood something terribly obvious, it's trivial to get what you want. We know that

[tex]\partial_cg^{ab} = g^{ad}g^{be}\partial_cg_{de} + 2\partial_cg^{ab}[/tex]

Agreed? Now subtract [itex]2\partial_cg^{ab}[/itex] from both sides and you get

[tex]g^{ad}g^{be}\partial_cg_{de} = \partial_cg^{ab} - 2\partial_cg^{ab} = -\partial_cg^{ab}[/tex]

which is what you're looking for.

Santiago said:

[tex]g^{\mu \rho} g_{\nu \rho} = \delta^{\mu}_{\nu}[/tex]

[tex]\partial \left( g^{\mu \rho} g_{\nu \mu} \right) = 0[/tex]

thus

[tex]g^{\mu \rho} \partial g_{\nu \rho} = - g_{\nu \rho} \partial g^{\mu \rho}[/tex]

now contract with [itex]g^{\nu \sigma}[/itex], you get your result.

[tex]\delta^{\sigma}_{\rho} \partial g^{\mu \rho} = - g^{\nu \sigma} g^{\mu \rho} \partial g_{\nu \rho}[/tex]

Last edited:
Thank you shoehorn and samalkhaiat for your replies, it helped a lot. Especially samalkhaiat. That's what I needed.

1. What is the purpose of finding the derivative of the metric tensor?

The derivative of the metric tensor is used to calculate the rate of change of the metric tensor with respect to a specific coordinate system. This is important in understanding the curvature and geometry of a space, which is crucial in many areas of physics and mathematics.

2. How is the derivative of the metric tensor calculated?

The derivative of the metric tensor is calculated using the Christoffel symbols, which are derived from the metric tensor itself. These symbols represent the connection between different coordinate systems and are used to find the rate of change of the metric tensor.

3. Can the derivative of the metric tensor be used to determine the curvature of a space?

Yes, the derivative of the metric tensor is closely related to the curvature of a space. By calculating the second derivative of the metric tensor, known as the Riemann curvature tensor, the full curvature of a space can be determined.

4. What is the significance of the derivative of the metric tensor in general relativity?

The derivative of the metric tensor is a fundamental concept in general relativity, as it is used to describe the curvature and geometry of spacetime. It is crucial in understanding how matter and energy interact with the fabric of spacetime, and how gravity is manifested.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the derivative of the metric tensor?

Yes, the derivative of the metric tensor has many practical applications in fields such as cosmology, astrophysics, and engineering. It is used to study the curvature of spacetime in the presence of massive objects, such as black holes, and is also used in the design of space missions and satellite navigation systems.