Verifying Rotational Operator in Quantum Mechanics

This is the definition of a unitary operator in quantum mechanics. In summary, the conversation discusses verifying a rotation operator in quantum mechanics (\hat{U}(R)) by expanding the exponential and transformed coordinates, and showing that it is equal to the definition of a unitary operator.
folgorant
hi all,
I have a problem about rotation operator in QM.
I must verify that [tex] (\hat{U}(R)f)(\textbf{x})=f(R^{-1}\textbf{x}) [/tex]

with: [tex] \hat{U}(R) = exp({\frac{-i\varphi\textbf{nL}}{\hbar}}) [/tex]

R rotation on versor n of angle [tex]\varphi[/tex]

I don't really know how to start, so please give me an advice!

Physics news on Phys.org
folgorant said:
hi all,
I have a problem about rotation operator in QM.
I must verify that [tex] (\hat{U}(R)f)(\textbf{x})=f(R^{-1}\textbf{x}) [/tex]

with: [tex] \hat{U}(R) = exp({\frac{-i\varphi\textbf{nL}}{\hbar}}) [/tex]

R rotation on versor n of angle [tex]\varphi[/tex]

I don't really know how to start, so please give me an advice!

In the exponential, write L as a differential operator. Then expand the exponential to first order.

On the rhs, write explicly the transformed coordinates [tex] R^{-1} x [/tex] to first order I am the rotation parameters. Next, Taylor expand [tex]f( R^{-1} x) [/tex] to first order in those parameters.

The two sides will be equal

What is a rotational operator in quantum mechanics?

A rotational operator in quantum mechanics is a mathematical representation of the rotation of a quantum system. It is used to describe the effects of rotations on the wave function of a particle, and is an important tool in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

How is a rotational operator verified in quantum mechanics?

A rotational operator is verified through experimental observations and mathematical calculations. This involves measuring the angular momentum of a quantum system and comparing it to the predictions of the rotational operator. If the results match, it provides evidence for the validity of the operator.

What are the properties of a rotational operator?

A rotational operator must be unitary, meaning it preserves the norm of the wave function. It must also be Hermitian, meaning it is equal to its own conjugate transpose. Additionally, it must commute with the Hamiltonian of the system.

How does a rotational operator affect the wave function of a particle?

A rotational operator acts on the wave function of a particle by rotating it by a certain angle. This results in a change in the orientation of the particle's angular momentum, which can affect its behavior and interactions with other particles.

What is the significance of verifying a rotational operator in quantum mechanics?

Verifying a rotational operator is important because it provides evidence for the validity of the mathematical framework of quantum mechanics. It also allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of quantum systems, which has practical applications in fields such as materials science, electronics, and quantum computing.