Optimizing Scientific Programming: A Blog for Scientists

In summary, a new blog has been launched on "programming for scientists" with the goal of discussing and teaching good software practices. The blog is open to feedback and is maintained by two individuals who have experience in teaching workshops for students. The blog covers a variety of topics, including choosing a programming language, and provides thorough explanations and comparisons. However, there are some grammar errors that have been identified and will be corrected. Overall, the blog is well-received and open to suggestions for improvement.
Rich S
Hi all,

I hope this is the appropriate place to post this. A friend and I have just started a blog on "programming for scientists". It's aimed at discussion and teaching of good software practice when you're programming in order to get some science done. We're going to be as responsive as we can to feedback (this was originally a workshop for students, so it already includes some feedback), so that we can be as helpful as possible, so any/all feedback would be most welcome!

The blog can be found at:

http://www.programming4scientists.com/

Technology news on Phys.org
Very slick blog actually. I'm more in the mathematician/computer-science camp, so I don't know what the best language for a scientist is, but I still like your articles on "choosing a programming language" as you cover each of the topics very well. For instance, on memory management you point out the fact that C/C++ does offer you a greater degree of control than many languages with "garbage collection," although it is more complicated.

There are some grammar errors, though. For example in the article I was talking about above (Part I of choosing a programming language) it says:

"The word ‘free’ has several different interpretation and you must be careful what licenses apply."

I think it should be "has several different interpretations and you must be careful as to which licenses apply."

Thanks! Glad you like the blog. (and thanks for the proof-reading feedback; very much appreciated :-) )

1. What is programming and why is it important for scientists?

Programming is a set of instructions that tells a computer what to do. It is important for scientists because it allows them to automate repetitive tasks, analyze large amounts of data, and create simulations and models for their research.

2. What programming languages are most commonly used by scientists?

The most commonly used programming languages by scientists are Python, R, and MATLAB. These languages are specifically designed for scientific computing and have a wide range of libraries and tools for data analysis and visualization.

3. Do I need to have a background in computer science to learn programming for scientists?

No, you do not need a background in computer science to learn programming for scientists. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts such as variables, loops, and functions can be helpful.

4. Are there any online resources or courses available for learning programming for scientists?

Yes, there are many online resources and courses available for learning programming for scientists. Some popular options include Codecademy, Coursera, and DataCamp. Additionally, many universities offer programming courses specifically tailored for scientists.

5. How can I apply programming to my research as a scientist?

There are many ways in which programming can be applied to scientific research. Some examples include automating data collection and analysis, creating simulations and models, and developing custom tools and algorithms for specific research projects. It ultimately depends on your specific research goals and needs.