Solve Discrete Math Problem: f(x,y)= 4x+y-4

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a problem using an equation and the use of given information. The function f:SxS-> N is also introduced, with the task of determining its image and proving its one-to-one function using an algebraic argument. The conversation ends with the realization that f(x1,y1)-f(x2,y2)=4(x1-x2)+(y1-y2) can only be 0 if x1=x2 and y1=y2.
mamma_mia66
I know I have to write an equation to solve the problem down. But I really don't know how to use the given information. I did it by enumeration, but I don't get it how this will be shown by an algebriac argument. Please some one help me at least with an idea.

If S = {1,2,3,4}, consider the function f:SxS-> N defined by f(x,y)= 4x+y-4. Determine the image of f, and show by an algebraic argument [not by enumeration] that f is one to one function on SxS. [hint: because S has only four elements, the difference of two of its elements is a multiple of 4 iff they are equal.]

Physics news on Phys.org
f(x1,y1)-f(x2,y2)=4(x1-x2)+(y1-y2). This can be 0 if and only if x1=x2 and y1=y2.

4(x1-x2) is ALWAYS a multiple of 4, while (y1-y2) cannot be a multiple of 4 unless y1=y2.

Thank you so much. I get it now.

What is a discrete math problem?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete, rather than continuous, quantities. This means that the values in a discrete math problem can only take on distinct, separate values rather than a range of values.

What does f(x,y) mean in the given problem?

f(x,y) represents a function with two variables, x and y. This means that the output of the function will depend on the values of x and y.

How do I solve a discrete math problem?

To solve a discrete math problem, you need to follow a series of steps that involve manipulating the given equation or problem to find a specific solution. These steps may include simplifying the equation, substituting values, and using logical reasoning.

What does the equation f(x,y)= 4x+y-4 mean?

The equation f(x,y)= 4x+y-4 represents a function in two variables, x and y. The function takes the values of x and y and combines them using the given equation to produce an output. In this case, the output is 4 times the value of x, plus the value of y, minus 4.

Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this problem. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the problem manually before relying on a calculator. Also, make sure to use the correct calculator function for working with discrete math problems.