Vectors that follow the same path? (should be easy)

In summary: You did it!In summary, the vectors that follow the same path as R=ti + t^2j are (a) and (b), and (c) is in the opposite direction. This is because (a) and (b) have similar velocities to the original path, while (c) has a negative velocity. Additionally, (b) corresponds to s=2t and (c) corresponds to s=-t. Finally, (d) also follows the same path when s=t^3.
imsoconfused
here's the problem:
which vectors follow the same path as R=ti + t^2j? The speed along the path may be different.
(a) 2ti + 2t^2j (b) 2ti + 4t^2j (c) -ti + t^2j (d) t^3i + t^6j

I think the answer is (a) and (b), and then (c) is in the opposite direction. I believe this because the velocities of (a) and (b) are (a): v=2 + 4t and (b): v=2 + 8t which is similar to the original: v=1+2t. (c): v=-1 + 2t is negative so it is in the opposite direction.

am I correct or at least on the right train of thought?
thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This would probably be clearer if the first path was labeled si+s^2j. To show two paths are the same you have to find a change of variables s->t such that the equations become the same. (b) is a good choice because it corresponds to s=2t. Which other one is good. I don't think it's (a).

I agree it would be clearer, I just put what the book said. the text is so confusing!

I don't understand how (b) is a good choice but (a) isn't. why does (b) correspond to s=2t? the way my novice eyes see it is that (a) is just twice the length of s. why is that not so?

(b) corresponds to s=2t because (2t)i+(2t)^2j=2ti+4t^2j. If (a) were correct then I should be able to solve s=2t and s^2=2^t^2 for s and t simultaneously for all s and t. And I can't.

does that mean differentiating bears no relevance? I think I almost understand. =)

The problem said "the speed along the path may be different", so, no, the velocity at anyone point doesn't matter. What matters is that for any s along the original path there is a t in the second path such that the two points are equal. Now which other path in the second group is the same as the first.

OH! it's (c) because if I set s=-t, I get -ti + t^2j just like with (b) I get 2ti + 4t^2j when I let s=2t.
yay I understand!

Good job! You caught one I missed. But there's another one.

I guess it has to be d. =) that would happen when I let s=t^3, correct? I think I just assumed (d) wasn't even pertinent since it was so different, but it makes sense that it does now.

Yes, yes, yes.

What are vectors that follow the same path?

Vectors that follow the same path are two or more vectors that have the same direction and magnitude and therefore can be represented by a single vector.

How do you determine if two vectors follow the same path?

To determine if two vectors follow the same path, you can compare their direction and magnitude. If they are the same, then the vectors follow the same path.

What is the significance of vectors that follow the same path?

Vectors that follow the same path have the same effect on an object's motion. This means that they can be combined or subtracted to find the resulting vector.

Can vectors that follow the same path have different starting points?

Yes, vectors that follow the same path can have different starting points. As long as they have the same direction and magnitude, they will still follow the same path.

What are some real-world examples of vectors that follow the same path?

Some examples of vectors that follow the same path include two people walking side by side, two cars driving in the same direction, or two airplanes flying in the same direction and altitude.