Finding the speed of a point moving around a circle

In summary, the task is to find parametric equations x(t) and y(t) for a point going around a circle with center (1,3) and radius 4, at a speed of 1. This can be achieved by using the parametric representation of a circle, which can be found on Wikipedia. The equations for x(t) and y(t) are x = 1 + 4cos(t) and y = 3 + 4sin(t), where t is the parameter that varies.
imsoconfused

Homework Statement

Find x(t), y(t) so that the point goes around the circle (x-1)^2 + (y-3)^2 = 4 with speed 1.

Homework Equations

I know that the center of the circle is (1,3) and that the radius of the circle is 4.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm really confused by what the author means by "speed". I know it's |v| (v being the velocity), but I still don't get what he is asking for. I know I need to find parametric equations x(t) and y(t) which, when combined, would give the equation of the circle, but I don't know how to work backwards like that. integration?
this shouldn't be this hard, I'm just being retarded, sorry.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need a parametric vector representation of a circle. The equation of the circle you are given is in Cartesian form, but you want one in terms of parameter t.

Once you have x(t) and y(t). You can then write [tex]\mathbf{r}(t) = x(t)\mathbf{i} + y(t)\mathbf{j} [/tex] How would you find |v| from here?

yes, once I get it into the parameterized form, I know where to go. however, getting there is another issue--I'm really confused about finding x(t) and y(t). where does t come from?

Have you learned the parametric representation of a circle? You can check Wikipedia for it. t is just the parameter which varies.

Wikipedia has it as:
x = a + r cos t
y = b + r sin t

no, I hadn't. seems like we would have covered that in class! thanks though.

are my equations now x = 1 + 4cost, y = 3 + 4sint?

It's supposed to be r cos t and r sin t, where r is the radius.

What is the formula for finding the speed of a point moving around a circle?

The formula for finding the speed of a point moving around a circle is v = (2πr)/T, where v is the speed, r is the radius of the circle, and T is the time taken to complete one revolution.

What is the unit of measurement for speed when finding the speed of a point moving around a circle?

The unit of measurement for speed when finding the speed of a point moving around a circle is distance per time, such as meters per second or kilometers per hour.

How does the radius of the circle affect the speed of a point moving around it?

The radius of the circle directly affects the speed of a point moving around it. The larger the radius, the greater the distance that needs to be covered in one revolution, resulting in a higher speed. Similarly, a smaller radius will result in a lower speed.

Can the speed of a point moving around a circle be negative?

No, the speed of a point moving around a circle cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents the distance traveled in a certain amount of time.

What is the relationship between the speed of a point moving around a circle and its frequency?

The speed of a point moving around a circle is directly proportional to its frequency. This means that as the speed increases, the frequency also increases, and vice versa.