Projectile Motion: Finding Distance to Clear a Wall

In summary, the problem involves a ball being thrown at a 60 degree angle with an initial velocity of 20 meters/second to clear a 2 meter high wall. The correct formula for calculating the height is h=((v(subzero)*sin(theta))^2)/2g. The student's attempt at a solution did not include the correct formula, leading to a discrepancy in their answer.
smartblonde

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown at 60deg with v(subzero) = 20 meters/sec to clear a wall that is 2 meters high. how far away is the wall?

Homework Equations

h=((v(subzero)*sin(theta))^2)/g

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried inserting my givens into the height equation and came up with a very funky answer. here 'tis:
h= ((20sin60)^2)/9.8=30.6
my answer key says x=1.2 or 33.5. I know I'd have to subtract 2 from the number I got, but that doesn't explain the discrepancy between my answer and the one the text gives. what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your "height equation" is slightly wrong. There's a factor of 2 somewhere you forgot to include.

oh--it's supposed to be 2g, right? well, that still gives me 15.3 which is not the answer I'm looking for. I've used this same equation (correctly) on other problems and I'm not sure why this one isn't coming out the same.

1. What is "plane motion projectiles"?

"Plane motion projectiles" refers to objects that are moving in a horizontal plane with a constant velocity, but also have a vertical component of motion due to the force of gravity. These objects follow a curved path known as a parabola.

2. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Air resistance can also play a role in the trajectory, but it is typically ignored in basic projectile motion calculations.

3. How is the range of a projectile calculated?

The range of a projectile is calculated using the equation R = (v2sin2θ)/g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes no air resistance and a level launch and landing surface.

4. What is the maximum height reached by a projectile?

The maximum height reached by a projectile is calculated using the equation H = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where H is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity. This equation assumes no air resistance.

5. How does changing the angle of launch affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Changing the angle of launch affects the trajectory of a projectile by changing the initial vertical and horizontal velocities. A lower angle will result in a longer range, while a higher angle will result in a higher maximum height. The optimal angle for maximum range is 45 degrees, while the optimal angle for maximum height is 90 degrees (directly upwards).