Solving Exponential Rates: Intervals & Solutions

• Thread starter epsilonzero
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exponential
In summary, the solutions to x=-x^k for x0>0 satisfy x(t) goes to 0 as t goes to infinity. The rate at which these solutions go to 0 is characterized by the equation x=(mt(k-1)+C)^(1/(1-k)).
epsilonzero
Hey, I'm having trouble starting this assignment. If you could just tell me how to get started and the path I should be on then that would be great and I can do the rest. Here are the questions:

1) Solutions to x= - x^k for x0>0 satisfy x(t) goes to 0 as t goes to infinity. Characterize the rate at which these solutions go to 0.

2) How do things change for x'= -m x^k for m>0?

I think question 1 will have several answers for various intervals but I'm how do I find these intervals?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem makes no sense at all. "Solutions to x= -x^k" are numbers that do not "go" anywhere as t goes to infinity. I assume you mean "dx/dt= -x^k"?

In that case you should be able to integrate dx/x^k= -dt without difficulty. The same is true for x'= -mx^k. Integrate dx/x^k= -mdt. The case k= 1 will have to be treated separately.

I just copied and pasted so yeah, it seems like there were a few problems. The x should have been an x'. Also I think the question is asking what rate does x(t)->0.

What I've done so far is

x'=-x^k
(-x^-k)dx=-dt
-Int(x^-k)dx=Int(1)dt
1/(-k+1)*x^(-k+1)=t+C

Where do I go from here to find the rate at which x(t) goes to 0?

For number 2 I have

x'=-mx^k
(x^-k)dx=-mdt
Int(x^-k)dx=-Int(m)dt
1/(-k+1)*x^(-k+1)=-mt

Now how do I characterize the effect m has? I see that k=1 will have to be treated separately because there will be 0 in the denominator.

Thank you for your help.

I'm still at this step: x=(t(k-1)+C)^(1/(1-k)) and I want to know at what rate x(t) goes to 0 for different intervals of k. I'm not sure how to figure out what these intervals should be or how to calculate the rate.

I think for rate there's an equation (x(t)-a)/(e^mt) as t->infinity where m is the rate and a is an x value. But I don't know what to use for a. Would a be 0?

Then the second equation is x=(mt(k-1)+C)^(1/(1-k)). What effect does m have? Would it just speed up the rate that x(t) approaches 0?

Any help is appreciated.

1. What are exponential rates and why are they important?

Exponential rates are a type of mathematical function where the growth or decay of a variable is proportional to its current value. They are important because they can model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest.

2. How do you solve exponential rates?

To solve exponential rates, you need to use logarithms. The steps for solving an exponential rate equation are:

1. Isolate the exponential term on one side of the equation.
  2. Take the logarithm of both sides of the equation.
  3. Use the properties of logarithms to simplify the equation.
  4. Solve for the variable.

3. What is the difference between intervals and solutions in exponential rates?

Intervals in exponential rates refer to the range of values that the variable can take on, while solutions refer to specific values that satisfy the equation. In other words, intervals give the possible values for the variable, while solutions give the actual values that make the equation true.

4. Can you solve exponential rates without using logarithms?

No, logarithms are necessary to solve exponential rates. While there are some special cases where the equation can be solved without logarithms, in general, logarithms are needed to isolate the variable and find its value.

5. How do you check if a solution is correct for an exponential rate equation?

To check if a solution is correct for an exponential rate equation, you can substitute the value into the equation and see if it makes the equation true. You can also graph the equation and the solution point to visually confirm that it lies on the curve.