Thread Forming Screw? HELPPP

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a specific type of screw, 1000 5mm x 30mm Allen Head Thread Forming/cutting zinc plated steel Screw, but is unable to find it. They ask for help in locating the screw or possibly having it manufactured. Other users suggest using self-tapping screws with a button head or socket head for high strength, and mention that torx or security bit self-tappers are easily available. However, the person is set on using socket head screws and is having difficulty finding them. Others suggest having them made at a machine shop or welding Allen heads onto another type of screw, but acknowledge that it may be costly and time-consuming.
Mooref2
I am in search of 1000 5mm x 30mm Allen Head Thread Forming/cutting zinc plated steel Screw but can not seem to find this particular screw anywhere!

Does anyone know where I can find this screw? or possibly have it manufactured?

Thank you,
Mooref2

Engineering news on Phys.org
Self-tapping screws are normally used with panels where you want a button head.
Socket head are normaly used when you need high strength.

Any reason it has to be socket head rather than posidrive?
You can get torx or security bit self tappers easily.

mgb_phys said:
Self-tapping screws are normally used with panels where you want a button head.
Socket head are normaly used when you need high strength.

Any reason it has to be socket head rather than posidrive?
You can get torx or security bit self tappers easily.

Im not sure for the reasoning behind it, but I've tried throwing out other ideas, but they are set on the socket head. They told me it would be difficult to find, didn't think it would be THIS difficult!

Whoa. Good luck on this one. I can find them with different head types but not SHCS.

I expect that you could have some made any any good machine shop, but it'll cost a lot.
Come to think of it, you could always buy another type of the right size and transplant Allen heads on with a welder. Again, very costly and time-consuming.

1. What is a thread forming screw?

A thread forming screw is a type of fastener that creates its own threads when driven into a material, instead of relying on pre-existing threads or creating new threads like a tap or die. It is commonly used in materials such as plastic, wood, or sheet metal.

2. How does a thread forming screw work?

A thread forming screw works by using its unique shape and design to push and displace the material around it, creating threads that are tightly formed and secure. This process is also known as cold forming or cold heading.

3. What are the advantages of using a thread forming screw?

Thread forming screws offer several advantages over traditional screws. They can provide stronger and more secure connections, have a lower risk of stripping or breaking, and can be used in materials that may not be able to support traditional threading methods.

4. Are there different types of thread forming screws?

Yes, there are several types of thread forming screws, including self-tapping screws, thread rolling screws, and thread cutting screws. Each type has its own unique design and purpose, but they all work to create threads in a material without the need for tapping or threading beforehand.

5. What materials can thread forming screws be used in?

Thread forming screws can be used in a wide variety of materials, including plastic, wood, sheet metal, and even some metals. They are especially useful in materials that may be too brittle or thin to support traditional threading methods.