EE/Physics Double Major: Benefits and Challenges

In summary, pursuing a double major in electrical engineering and physics offers a unique set of benefits and challenges. On one hand, it allows for a combination of technical skills and theoretical knowledge that can lead to a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, renewable energy, and aerospace. Additionally, the interdisciplinary nature of these two fields can provide a well-rounded education and a deeper understanding of how the world works. On the other hand, balancing the rigorous coursework of two majors can be demanding and time-consuming, requiring strong time management and organizational skills. However, the potential for a rewarding and fulfilling career in a rapidly advancing field makes the challenges of a double major worth it for many students.
pakmingki2
Ok first of all I am going to say that I am not doing EE because I am afraid that ill be homeless if i just do physics.

I am genuinely interested in both.
At first I didnt know what I was going to do, but after taking physics 2 (basic EM), i knew I really wanted to go further into electronics. hence, ee, but I am still interested in pursuing physics.

Honestly not that much of physics is terribly interesting to me. I am almost done with the basic coursework, introductory mechanics/em/waves/optics whatever, thermal physics, and modern physics. By the end of this year I should be able to start advanced coursework, which includes quantum mechanics and intermediate EM. Mainly the only thing I am really interested in is EM and QM.

now, here is where there should be overlap: There is an advanced lab requirement, but I can fulfill those by taking advanced circuits labs,and those should be easy if i go into EE because in EE classes you do circuit labs anyways.

Also, for my physics electives, there is a wide range, but i think ill stick with EM cause there 4 levels of EM at my school.

How relevant to EE is advanced EM? I am talking about E&M with special relativity.

Also, will it give me any perks in the job market having both degrees?

Physics news on Phys.org
pakmingki2 said:
Ok first of all I am going to say that I am not doing EE because I am afraid that ill be homeless if i just do physics.

What do you mean by homeless. I am in HS right now and looking to major in physics, is pursuing a physics major not a financial secure major? I thought that majoring in physics would open up many good careers?

You will have an easier time finding a job with an engineering degree than a physics degree. Not because you haven't learned anything, but because telling someone "I know physics" is meaningless. You'll have to sell yourself and show your employer why you can do XYZ.

This is assuming you leave with a BS degree. If you go further into a Master's or Ph.D. degree, you are a lot more likely to find good work.

In general it is a good idea to find something you like along side physics, say computer science or engineering of some sort, and take some of those classes so if you were to leave with just a Bachelor's degree, you could show your employer that you took some of those classes so you know what you are talking about.

glennpagano44 said:
What do you mean by homeless. I am in HS right now and looking to major in physics, is pursuing a physics major not a financial secure major? I thought that majoring in physics would open up many good careers?

you won't be homeless, i was just exaggerating.
If you major in physics, aside from becoming a high school teacher, it will be a lot harder to find a better job.

But like everyone else says, its a lot easier to find a job as an actual physicist with a masters or phd

WarPhalange said:
You will have an easier time finding a job with an engineering degree than a physics degree. Not because you haven't learned anything, but because telling someone "I know physics" is meaningless. You'll have to sell yourself and show your employer why you can do XYZ.

This is assuming you leave with a BS degree. If you go further into a Master's or Ph.D. degree, you are a lot more likely to find good work.

In general it is a good idea to find something you like along side physics, say computer science or engineering of some sort, and take some of those classes so if you were to leave with just a Bachelor's degree, you could show your employer that you took some of those classes so you know what you are talking about.

well the main thing is for ee I want to concentrate in wireless communications which involves a lot of electromagnetics. And the main reason why I want to double up in physics is because it gives me the chance to go more in depth into what I want to do with EE. So in the end, the physics major will be a supplement. The only core classes I have to take is quantum mechanics and intermediate EM. After that, I have to take a couple more electives, and while most people tend to do solid state physics and nuclear physics/advanced modern physics, I just want to take the graduate level EM sequence instead and advanced electronics lab sequence whereas most people tend to take the advanced modern physics labs.

imma repost some news videos i posted in another thread on career prospects for science/engr

these are from CNN

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are the benefits of pursuing an EE/Physics double major?

One of the main benefits of pursuing an EE/Physics double major is the increased breadth of knowledge and skills you will gain. This combination allows you to have a strong understanding of both the theoretical and practical aspects of both fields.

In addition, having a double major can make you more marketable to potential employers, as you will have a diverse set of skills that can be applied to a variety of industries.

2. What challenges should I expect when pursuing an EE/Physics double major?

The biggest challenge of pursuing an EE/Physics double major is the workload. Both fields require a lot of time and effort, and combining them can be quite demanding. This may require careful planning and time management skills to ensure you are able to successfully complete the requirements for both majors.

Another challenge may be the overlap in coursework. Some courses may cover similar topics, which can be both helpful and challenging. It's important to be able to make connections between the two subjects and avoid confusion.

3. How can an EE/Physics double major prepare me for a career in the field of engineering?

An EE/Physics double major can prepare you for a career in engineering by providing a strong foundation in both electrical engineering and physics principles. This combination can give you a well-rounded understanding of how to apply scientific theories and concepts to real-world problems.

In addition, the problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities gained from this double major can be highly valuable in the engineering field, where complex problems often require creative solutions.

4. Can an EE/Physics double major also lead to opportunities in other industries?

Yes, an EE/Physics double major can open up opportunities in a variety of industries, including technology, research, and even finance. The combination of analytical and technical skills gained from this double major can be applied to a wide range of fields, making you a versatile and valuable asset.

Furthermore, having a diverse set of skills and knowledge can make you stand out in the job market and give you a competitive edge over other candidates.

5. Are there any specific courses or experiences I should seek out as an EE/Physics double major?

As an EE/Physics double major, it can be beneficial to take courses that integrate both subjects, such as courses in quantum electronics, electromagnetism, and solid-state physics. These courses can help you develop a deeper understanding of how the two fields intersect and how they can be applied in various industries.

Additionally, seeking out research or internship opportunities can provide hands-on experience and allow you to apply your knowledge in a practical setting. This can also help you determine which specific industry or career path you may be most interested in pursuing after graduation.