String Theory & Higgs: Explaining Spin 0

In summary: So, the strings are unfurled and not vibrating at all. In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spin in string theory and how it differs from the standard model. It also touches on the representation that particles live in and how string theory can provide this. The strings themselves are not curled up as in protons, but rather unfurled.
Chewy0087
Don't really want to go into much detail here :P, was just wondering during a crappy elctro/physics lesson today;

I find it hard to understand the concept of spin at all in string theory, but assuming it's the same as the standard model (it's physically spinning) as opposed to vibrating or something, and assuming that the Higgs does have spin 0, how would that be explained/pictured? ;p

I presume then that the string will not be curled up in a ball as it is imagined to be in protons etc, but instead is unfurled (a straight string), and not vibrating at all? I'd really like to understand it, or at least get an idea in my mind to picture ;p, string theory is awesome

Thanks yous
merci en avance

Physics news on Phys.org
Chewy0087 said:
Don't really want to go into much detail here :P, was just wondering during a crappy elctro/physics lesson today;

I find it hard to understand the concept of spin at all in string theory, but assuming it's the same as the standard model (it's physically spinning) as opposed to vibrating or something, and assuming that the Higgs does have spin 0, how would that be explained/pictured? ;p

I presume then that the string will not be curled up in a ball as it is imagined to be in protons etc, but instead is unfurled (a straight string), and not vibrating at all? I'd really like to understand it, or at least get an idea in my mind to picture ;p, string theory is awesome

Thanks yous
merci en avance

"Spin" actually has to do with the specific SO(3,1) representation that a particle lives in. After compactification, string theory can give the needed representations of SO(3,1).

I can understand your confusion and curiosity about the concept of spin in string theory and how it relates to the Higgs field. Spin is a fundamental property of particles and is often described as the intrinsic angular momentum of a particle. In the standard model of particle physics, spin is described as a physical spinning motion of the particle.

In string theory, however, spin is not described in terms of physical spinning, but rather as a mathematical property of the string itself. The string is considered to be one-dimensional, meaning it has length but no width or height. This allows it to vibrate in different modes, which correspond to different particles in the standard model.

Now, in terms of the Higgs field, it is believed to have a spin of 0. This means that it does not have any physical spinning motion, but rather a scalar field that permeates all of space. This field is responsible for giving particles their mass through the Higgs mechanism.

To try and explain this concept in a more visual way, you can imagine the string in string theory as a straight, unfurled string rather than a curled up ball. And the Higgs field can be visualized as a field of energy that fills all of space, giving particles their mass.

I hope this helps to give you a better understanding of spin in string theory and its relationship to the Higgs field. Keep exploring and learning about string theory, it truly is an amazing and fascinating area of study.

1. What is String Theory?

String Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to reconcile the two pillars of modern physics, quantum mechanics and general relativity. It proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are not particles, but tiny one-dimensional strings that vibrate at different frequencies.

2. How does String Theory explain spin 0?

In String Theory, particles are described as different vibrational modes of the tiny strings. Spin 0 particles are those that do not have any spin, meaning they do not rotate on their own axis. This is because the strings that make up these particles vibrate in a way that cancels out any rotational motion.

3. What is the Higgs mechanism?

The Higgs mechanism is a fundamental principle in particle physics that explains how particles acquire mass. It proposes the existence of a field, called the Higgs field, that permeates the entire universe. Particles interact with this field and gain mass as a result.

4. How does the Higgs mechanism relate to String Theory?

In String Theory, the Higgs field is described as a vibrational mode of the strings. This means that the interactions between particles and the Higgs field are explained by the vibrations of the strings that make up the particles. This provides a more unified and elegant explanation of the Higgs mechanism within the framework of String Theory.

5. What are the implications of String Theory and the Higgs mechanism?

If String Theory and the Higgs mechanism are correct, it would provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries in physics. It could also help reconcile the discrepancies between quantum mechanics and general relativity, and potentially lead to a unified theory of everything.