Can I Tell if a State is Ground State?

In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is possible to determine if a state is a ground state without knowing the general form of eigenstates and eigenvalues. It also mentions the relationship between the ground state wave function and the uncertainty principle. It is suggested to use the Variational Principle to prove that the ground state wave function has no nodes, and that the uncertainty principle is closest to being violated in the lowest energy state. Further research is suggested depending on the specific goal.
KFC
If I know the explicit form of potential, the energy and a specific eigenstate, but I don't know the general form of eigenstates and eigenvalues, can I tell if the state is ground state or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
No i don't think so, why are you asking?

KFC said:
If I know the explicit form of potential, the energy and a specific eigenstate, but I don't know the general form of eigenstates and eigenvalues, can I tell if the state is ground state or not?

A ground state wave function usually has no nodes.

clem said:
A ground state wave function usually has no nodes.
I think you can prove this statement by noting that the ground state wave function minimizes
[tex]\left < \psi \right| H \left | \psi \right>[/tex]

The Variational Principle guarantees that

[tex]
E_g \leq \langle \psi|H|\psi \rangle \equiv \langle H \rangle
[/tex]

Last edited:
In doing some QM problems a few weeks ago I noticed that, for the PARTICULAR potential I was working with, the product of the standard deviation of the position (sx) and the standard deviation of the momentum (sp) was exactly hbar/2 in the ground state (sx*sp=hbar/2), and the product grew larger for higher energy states. So the uncertaintly principle was closest to getting violated in the lowest energy state. I assume that's NOT true for other potentials, but maybe something you could look into depending upon what exactly you are trying to do.

1. How do I know if a state is a ground state?

The ground state of an atom or molecule is the lowest energy state that it can exist in. This means that all of its electrons are in their lowest possible energy levels. To determine if a state is a ground state, you can analyze the energy levels of the electrons and compare them to the energy levels of other possible states.

2. Can the ground state of an atom or molecule change?

Yes, the ground state of an atom or molecule can change if it gains or loses energy. This can happen through various processes such as absorption or emission of light, collisions with other particles, or changes in temperature.

3. What is the significance of the ground state in chemistry?

The ground state is important in chemistry because it is the most stable state of an atom or molecule. This means that in most cases, atoms and molecules will naturally exist in their ground state. Additionally, the ground state forms the basis for understanding the properties and behavior of atoms and molecules.

4. How can I calculate the ground state energy of an atom or molecule?

Calculating the ground state energy requires knowledge of the electronic structure of the atom or molecule. This can be done using mathematical models such as the Schrödinger equation and quantum mechanics principles. These calculations can be complex and often require computer programs to accurately determine the ground state energy.

5. Can two different atoms or molecules have the same ground state energy?

No, different atoms or molecules cannot have the same ground state energy. Each atom or molecule has a unique electronic structure, resulting in different energy levels for its electrons. This means that even if two atoms or molecules have similar properties, their ground state energies will be different.