Exploring the Origins of Time, Space, and Matter: Insights from Science

In summary, according to the speaker, the big bang theory is not actually based on scientific evidence, but on assumptions and theories. The speaker believes that our universe has always existed, and that there have been many big crunches and big bangs. Their personal theory is that our universe is in another dimension, and that the big bang was the opening of a wormhole that caused the extinction of all life from that other dimension.
redhedkangaro
I know that we all know about the big bang. We say that is is what created time, space, and matter. However, how do we know through science that time space and matter were in fact created? (Let us not go into issues about god). I was thinking that our universe has always existed that there have been many big crunches and big bangs, in which our universe has started over again? What are your thoughts on this?

Space news on Phys.org
I think that this coincides nicely with Mayan religion, about how the universe restarts, and every time beings get more complex. (they predicted the next apocalypse and universe restart in the year 2012) They also believe that at some point we will be such complex beings that telepathy will be the new form of communication.

My personal theory happens to be that our universe has always existed, simply in another dimension, and that the big bang was actually the opening of a wormhole in which all life from that other dimension was extinguished from the pressure of said wormhole. This would explain why there is everything necessary for life available in our universe. I think that this is a slightly more logical hypothesis than the theory of spontaneous generation of EVERYTHING.

redhedkangaro said:
I know that we all know about the big bang. We say that is is what created time, space, and matter. However, how do we know through science that time space and matter were in fact created?
Well, no, actually, we don't know that. While the big bang theory has a singularity in the finite past, we can't actually take the theory seriously that far back. And while we do know that our own region had to have a beginning at some point, we currently have no way to say whether or not that beginning was from nothing, or from some other space-time.

redhedkangaro said:
I was thinking that our universe has always existed that there have been many big crunches and big bangs, in which our universe has started over again? What are your thoughts on this?
Well, I think the whole "bouncing universe" idea is highly unlikely to be accurate. It basically requires that the entropy monotonically decrease after some point in time. And besides, it looks like our own region will probably expand forever, so it seems doubtful that it will ever collapse back on itself. Here is one attempt at describing this which, personally, seems rather more likely to me:
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0410270

It seems we know back about 99% of the way to the supposed big bang rather clearly on both theoretical and experimental (measurement) basis...how it all got started is less clear. It seems like inflationary cosmology fits experimental data rather well, like filaments, galaxy clusters and so forth. Before that?? who knows??

Was our universe a once in a lifetime, highly unlikely, "miracle"? Seems more likely to me its a process that goes on all the time...in a virtually infinite cosmos likely an infinite number of universes are born and many die without evolution...perhaps those that evolve, like ours, somehow spawn others...a darwinian style natural selection.

However since nobody even knows exactly what time, space, matter,energy, etc really are and exactly how they are related, let alone "dark" forms, likely we have a lot yet to learn. Maybe some universes bounce, others like ours expand forever...in an infinite number of chances, everything must happen...

What is space?

Space refers to the three-dimensional expanse in which all matter exists. It is often described as the distance between two objects or points in the universe.

What is time?

Time is a measurement of the duration of events and the sequence in which they occur. It is often perceived as a linear progression from past to present to future.

What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. It can exist in various forms, including solid, liquid, and gas, and is made up of atoms and molecules.

How do space, time, and matter interact?

Space and time are often considered to be intertwined, with matter existing within the fabric of spacetime. The presence of matter can also cause distortions in spacetime, as seen in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

How do scientists study space, time, and matter?

Scientists use various tools and techniques such as telescopes, satellites, and particle accelerators to study space, time, and matter. They also develop theories and conduct experiments to better understand the nature of these concepts.