Thermochemistry 2: Zn w/ HCl & Sulfuric Acid -150 kJ

In summary, the conversation is discussing the reaction between zinc and hydrochloric acid, which produces zinc chloride and hydrogen gas with a change in heat content of -150 kj. The question then asks about the reaction with sulfuric acid and how many moles of sulfuric acid would react with excess zinc to produce the same change in heat content. The person providing the summary also suggests writing a net ionic reaction equation to help find the answer.
ph_lover3294
hi

zinc reacts with HCl according to the eq

Zn + 2HCl ------> ZnCl2 + H2 , delta H= -150 kj

* IF SULPHURIC ACID IS USED INSTEAD HCl ..jow many moles of sulphuric acid react with excess amount of zinc so the change in heat content is -150 kj

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to try by yourself first.

Besides, it looks like a homework question to me, and this is not a forum for HW.

hi

firstly its not a homework question

secondly i tried but I am not sure

i said that the answer will be (one mole )as Zn +H2SO4---->ZnSO4 + H2
but i don't know is it write or wrong ?

thank u

Write net ionic reaction equation, it should be obvious then. But you seem to be on the right track.

1. What is thermochemistry?

Thermochemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the study of heat energy changes in chemical reactions.

2. What is the purpose of the experiment "Zn w/ HCl & Sulfuric Acid -150 kJ"?

The purpose of this experiment is to observe and measure the heat energy released during the reaction between zinc and hydrochloric acid and between zinc and sulfuric acid.

3. What is the significance of the reported value of -150 kJ in the experiment?

The reported value of -150 kJ indicates the amount of heat energy released during the reaction. It is a measure of the exothermic nature of the reaction, meaning that it releases heat energy into the surroundings.

4. How is the heat energy measured in this experiment?

The heat energy is measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction.

5. What other factors can affect the heat energy released in this experiment?

The concentration of the acids, the amount of zinc used, the temperature of the reactants, and the reaction rate can all affect the heat energy released in this experiment. Additionally, any impurities or variations in the experimental setup can also impact the results.