Connected a RS-232 to RS-485 converter to the RS232 port

• Thread starter strandedboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converter
In summary, the conversation is about using HyperTerminal to send a signal to a RS-232 to RS-485 converter. The person seeking help is trying to figure out how to send a byte or signal through HyperTerminal and how to know if the converter has received it. They are also asking about connecting the converter to the RS485 and if they need a reply. They also mention a specific converter, MOXA's TCC-80, and ask for assistance on how to use it with HyperTerminal.
strandedboy
hi, i have connected a RS-232 to RS-485 converter to the RS232 port, and i would like to know if any1 could tell me how to send a byte or signal to it using hyper terminal.. thx~

Engineering news on Phys.org

strandedboy said:
hi, i have connected a RS-232 to RS-485 converter to the RS232 port, and i would like to know if any1 could tell me how to send a byte or signal to it using hyper terminal.. thx~

Welcome to the PF. Hopefully you won't be stranded here!

Have you used HyperTerminal before? It is fairly straightforward to use, but there are some configuration options that can sometimes get tricky.

I went to wikipedia.org to see if they had a good intro to HyperTerminal, but their article is only semi-related. Luckily, a link at the bottom of that article has a good tutorial intro:

http://www.dnatechindia.com/index.php/Tutorials/8051-Tutorial/HYPERTERMINAL.html

That should get you going with HyperTerminal. Be sure to specify the correct COM1 or COM2 port (depends on if your PC has more than one DB-9 connector). You can use an oscilloscope to watch the signals, and verify activity. Keep in mind that RS-232 signals are +/-12V, and RS-485 signals are 0V-5V.

Let us know if you are up and running now...

hmm i do not understand how to send a byte to the converter... in terms of byte do i just type 1 and press enter? and how am i supposed to know if the converter has received the byte/signal? sorry for the trouble..thx

strandedboy said:
hmm i do not understand how to send a byte to the converter... in terms of byte do i just type 1 and press enter? and how am i supposed to know if the converter has received the byte/signal? sorry for the trouble..thx

Yep. After readimg the setup info in the link, just type anything and hit Enter. Look for the ASCII representation of the typed character to come out in serial fashion...

I guess I should ask, what are you trying to do?

erm I'm trying to use hyper terminal to send signals through to the RS-232 to RS-485 converter... or am i doing it wrong? Do I need to connect the converter to the RS485 to have a reply?

any1 know about MOXA's TCC-80 port powerd RS-232 to RS-485 converter?
I'm supposed to send a signal to it using hyper terminal.. any1 could teach me how?? thanks in advance

1. What is the purpose of a RS-232 to RS-485 converter?

A RS-232 to RS-485 converter is used to convert data signals between two different communication protocols. It allows for the communication and compatibility between devices that use the RS-232 and RS-485 standards.

2. How does a RS-232 to RS-485 converter work?

The converter uses electrical signals and voltage levels to convert data between the RS-232 and RS-485 protocols. It acts as a bridge between devices that use these different standards, translating the data signals to ensure proper communication.

3. Can a RS-232 to RS-485 converter be used in both directions?

Yes, most converters are bi-directional, meaning they can convert data signals from RS-232 to RS-485 and vice versa. This allows for two-way communication between devices using different protocols.

4. Are there any limitations to using a RS-232 to RS-485 converter?

One limitation is the distance of communication between devices. RS-485 has a longer range than RS-232, so the converter may not be able to extend the range of communication beyond what RS-485 is capable of. Additionally, the converter may introduce some latency in the data transfer process.

5. Are there any alternatives to using a RS-232 to RS-485 converter?

Yes, there are other converters available that can convert data between different communication protocols. Some examples include RS-232 to USB converters and RS-485 to Ethernet converters. The choice of converter depends on the specific needs and compatibility of the devices being connected.