Will Magnets interfere with Electric Signal?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using magnets to secure a broken clip on a standard 8P8C modular jack (RJ45) without causing interference with the electrical signals passing through the cable. The individual is more interested in the effect on a Firewire cable, which has dual shielding, and is seeking suggestions and comments on this idea. The conversation concludes with a warning about the potential effect of magnets on hard drives.
resjsu
I have a standard 8P8C modular jack (RJ45) and the small clip has broken off. Instead of cutting it off and re-wiring a new one I was interested to find out if I could attach magnets (how I will attach them is not important at this time) to the connector and have the magnets provide the security.

But will magnets, such as Iridium magnets, spaced within 5mm of either side of the RJ45 jack cause any interference?

I wanted to apply this to an ethernet cable running an ethernet signal and one running a Firewire signal. I am more interested in the one running a Firewire signal because I know the standards are a little more strict. However, the Firewire cable has dual shielding.

Any ideas/comments/suggestions would be a great help.

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A static magnetic field will have no effect on the electrical signals going through your cable, regardless of shielding.

On the other hand, magnets might have an effect on your hard drive, and I personally would not put strong magnets anywhere near my own computer.

- Warren

So no interference at all? Awesome, thank you.

1. Do magnets really interfere with electric signals?

Yes, magnets can interfere with electric signals. This is because magnets create a magnetic field that can disrupt the flow of electric current.

2. How do magnets interfere with electric signals?

Magnets can interfere with electric signals by creating a magnetic field that causes the electrons in the electric current to move in a different direction than intended. This can result in a weaker or distorted signal.

3. Can magnets interfere with all types of electric signals?

Yes, magnets can interfere with all types of electric signals, including those used in communication devices, electronic equipment, and power grids.

4. How strong does a magnet need to be to interfere with an electric signal?

The strength of a magnet needed to interfere with an electric signal depends on the distance between the magnet and the source of the signal. Generally, the closer the magnet is to the source, the stronger it needs to be to cause interference.

5. How can I prevent magnets from interfering with my electric signals?

You can prevent magnets from interfering with electric signals by keeping them at a safe distance from each other, using shielding materials, or by using devices that are designed to resist magnetic interference.