Electric Flux depedent on position inside a surface, yes?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating electric flux through a cubical Gaussian surface with a point charge at the center. It is determined that the total electric flux through the surface does not depend on the position or orientation of the charge, but the flux through a small portion of the surface may vary. The equation for flux is Phi=q/epsilon sub0 and the flux through a small portion is given by the surface integral of the electric field dot product with the differential area. The conversation also clarifies that the angle between the field and the surface is only important when considering the flux through a small portion of the surface.
rockyshephear
Sample Problems to calculate Electric Flux

01. A point charge of 1.8mC is at the centre of a cubical Gaussain surface having each side 50cm. What is the net electric flux through the surface?

Suggested answer:
According to Gauss' theorem, flux = q / sigma sub0 or 1.8mC/8.854 x 10^-12

I would question if this is true no matter WHERE inside the cubical Gaussian surface the charge is. If it does matter, why is there no varible for the position inside a given surface?

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as the amount of charge inside the surface stays the same, the total electric flux through the surface does not depend on where the charge is located. It also doesn't depend on the size or shape of the surface, so long as the surface is closed.

Last edited:
I will take your word on that but it doesn't seem logical given the following.

Here's the equation for flux. Phi=q/sigma sub0

If this is true, flux has nothing at all to do with the radiating vectors' angle with respect to the surface they are passing through, since angle is not a part of the equation for flux.

So that sounds like these arrows can exit the surface at any angle as long as they pass through. As an analogy, a light blub in a glass sphere. The amount of light leaving the glass sphere is independent of the position of the bulb in the sphere.

So why is it stated that flux varies with how the surface faces the flow?

My question in a nutshell: Does flux vary wiith respect to the angle the field makes with the surface? If so, the why is the angle not included in the equation for flux?
Phi=q/sigma sub0

Note that Gauss's law only talks about the total flux; it makes no comment about the flux through any portion of the surface.

As you move the charge around within the surface, the field and thus the flux through some portion of the surface may certainly change, yet the total flux remains the same.

Oh, so the angle is only important with dA, flux thru a small portion of the overall surface.
So I can throw ANYTHING whatsoever in side the sphere and it's always zero?

Woops. I made a mistake. I mean whatever is inside the sphere is
Phi=q/epsilon sub0
but what is in a small portion is
Surface integral of vector E dot producted with vector dA
Is that better?

Another mistake. Rats.

I mean whatever is inside the sphere is
Phi=q/epsilon sub0
Surface E field times dA times cos theta =Vector E dot producted with dA
Is that better?

Yeah, that sounds right.

Or to be even more exact.

I mean whatever is inside the sphere is
Phi(total)=q/epsilon sub0
Phi(little chunk)=E field times dA times cos theta =Vector E dot producted with dA
Is that better?

Sounds good.

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the electric field passing through a given surface. It is defined as the total number of electric field lines passing through a surface, taking into account the magnitude and direction of the electric field.

2. How is electric flux dependent on position inside a surface?

The electric flux is dependent on the position inside a surface because the electric field is not necessarily constant throughout the surface. As the position changes, the distance from the source of the electric field may change, resulting in a different electric field strength and thus a different electric flux through the surface.

3. What factors affect the electric flux through a surface?

The electric flux through a surface is affected by the strength and direction of the electric field, the size and orientation of the surface, and the distance from the source of the electric field to the surface. The electric flux is also influenced by the shape and material of the surface, as well as any charges or conductors present within the surface.

4. How is electric flux calculated?

The electric flux through a surface can be calculated by taking the dot product of the electric field and the surface area vector. Mathematically, it is represented as Φ = E*A*cosθ, where E is the electric field, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the surface area vector.

5. Why is electric flux an important concept in physics?

Electric flux is an important concept in physics because it helps us understand the behavior of electric fields and how they interact with conductors and charges. It is also a crucial element in the calculation of electric potential and electric energy. Additionally, electric flux is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and devices.