Orientation of coil in electric generator: Important?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project to build a simple electricity generating windmill with the help of a grandparent. The design does not aim for maximum efficiency but rather a reasonable one with basic tools and materials. The orientation of the coil of wire in relation to the magnetic flux of the magnet is questioned, with the final design involving a full radial array of coils and magnets. A link is provided for further discussion and clarification on the construction of an axial field permanent magnet rotor for windmills. The conversation concludes with a humorous note about the spelling of "propeller."
Antic_Hay
Hi, I'm working with my granddad on a project to build a (simple!) electricity generating windmill. We're not trying to make the most efficient design possible, just a reasonably efficient design given the simple tools and materials we're using. It's mostly just a project for fun! :)

So, we have a setup as in the diagram below. What I'm wondering, is does it make a difference what way the coil of wire is oriented, i.e. if it is rotated 90 degrees in some direction in the design, will a greater EMF be induced in it each time it cuts the magnetic flux of the magnet.

(To clarify, the coil is currently oriented so that additional windings will make it grow along the Y axis, looking down at the XY plane, the cross section of the coil will be circular)

(Please go easy on me if I'm saying anything moronic, it's been a while since I studied Physics is school, and I did very little of it in college! ;) )

(Oh, the final design will have a full radial array of coils and magnets, if that's any confusion! But my main question is what shape the coil should be !

Thanks!
Mark.edit: yep, I know that should be 'propellor', not propeller!
nuLB7.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the best orientation for a windmill generator. Generally, the windmill generators have 8 to 12 magnetic poles (neodymium iron boron) in a circle, and as many coils for single phase output. But, unless you have a good way of getting the electric power off the rotor, you will want to have rotating magnets and stationary coils.

[Edit] I am not advertising this place, but here is a good detailed discussion of an axial field permanent magnet rotor construction for windmills. You should first decide on windmill blade diameter and expected windpower (watts and RPM)) and desired alternator power output.
http://www.otherpower.com/magnetrotors.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, that's great, that cleared things up totally, and that link was full of useful detail, thanks a lot :-)

You're right about the stationary magnets too, makes much more sense!

Antic_Hay said:
yep, I know that should be 'propellor', not propeller!

In the USA, "propeller" is fine. Of course, some English-speakers claim that we Yanks speak/write a debased version of the language. :wink:

1. What is the purpose of the orientation of coils in an electric generator?

The orientation of coils in an electric generator is crucial for the efficient conversion of mechanical energy into electrical energy. It determines the direction and strength of the induced current in the coils, which ultimately produces the desired electric power output.

2. What are the different orientations of coils in electric generators?

The most common orientations of coils in electric generators are horizontal and vertical. In horizontal orientation, the coils are placed parallel to the ground, while in vertical orientation, they are placed perpendicular to the ground. Other orientations, such as diagonal and radial, are also used in specific types of generators.

3. How does the orientation of coils affect the performance of an electric generator?

The orientation of coils directly affects the efficiency and power output of an electric generator. When the coils are aligned with the magnetic field, the induced current is maximized, resulting in higher power output. On the other hand, if the coils are perpendicular to the magnetic field, the induced current is reduced, leading to lower power output.

4. Is the orientation of coils the only factor that affects the performance of an electric generator?

No, the orientation of coils is not the only factor that affects the performance of an electric generator. Other factors such as the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of rotation, and the number of coils also play a significant role in determining the efficiency and power output of the generator.

5. Can the orientation of coils be changed in an existing electric generator?

Yes, the orientation of coils in an existing electric generator can be changed to optimize its performance. This can be done by adjusting the position of the coils or by using different types of winding configurations. However, it is essential to consult an expert to ensure that the changes do not negatively affect the overall functioning of the generator.