Calculating Component Vectors - Learn How

In summary, when adding two vectors, it is necessary to break them down into their x and y components using cos and sin. When using polar coordinates, the direction of the angle does not affect the components, as long as the correct magnitude and angle are used.
lovemake1
Hello, I am slightly confused with component vectors.

if I am trying to add two vectors, which are 33m/s [W33E] and 53m/s [N54W] i have to
break them down into x and y component.
i can get them by using cos and sin.

but there are some occasions where I am not sure if the degree I am using is correct.

for example for 33m/s the xcomponent would be 33cos33 and ycompoent would be 33sin33.

when do we ever use 33cos-33 ? beacuse i know there are some occasions where negative angle is neccesary or even (180-33) obtuse angle to find the component.

please could anyone clarify this for me thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your notation [W33E]... are they something to do with the compass points?

To add two or more vectors, just add their x and y components respectively. Simple as that. Your notation seems odd, though.

Your [W33E] notation is incorrect. The other heading, [N54W], means 54 degrees west of north. The first one should probably be either N33E or S33E.

lovemake1 said:
when do we ever use 33cos-33 ? beacuse i know there are some occasions where negative angle is neccesary or even (180-33) obtuse angle to find the component.

please could anyone clarify this for me thanks,

Draw the vector with its tail at the origin. Then draw a polar coordinate angle from the positive x-axis to the vector. It doesn't matter whether you go counterclockwise with a positive [itex]\theta[/itex] or clockwise with a negative [itex]\theta[/itex]. Do whichever seems more natural for the vector you are considering. In either case you will get [itex]x = r\cos\theta,\ y = r\sin\theta[/itex].

What is the purpose of calculating component vectors?

The purpose of calculating component vectors is to break down a vector into its individual components in order to better understand and analyze its direction and magnitude. This can be especially useful in physics and engineering applications.

How do you calculate the components of a vector?

To calculate the components of a vector, you can use the trigonometric functions sine and cosine. The horizontal component, or x-component, is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the cosine of the angle it makes with the x-axis. The vertical component, or y-component, is found by multiplying the magnitude of the vector by the sine of the angle it makes with the y-axis.

What are the units for component vectors?

The units for component vectors are the same as the units for the original vector. This is because the components are just different aspects of the same vector, and therefore have the same physical meaning and units.

Can component vectors be negative?

Yes, component vectors can be negative. This indicates that the vector is pointing in the opposite direction of the positive axis. For example, a negative x-component would indicate that the vector is pointing towards the negative x-axis.

Are component vectors independent of each other?

Yes, component vectors are independent of each other. This means that changing the magnitude or direction of one component will not affect the other component. They can be analyzed and manipulated separately, but ultimately combine to form the original vector.