How to calculate output of a motor used as a generator

In summary, the conversation was about calculating a motor's output when used as a generator based on the manufacturer's specifications. The motor in question is a small but powerful DC motor, measuring 0.40" x 0.32" x 0.66" and operating on 1.5 - 3.6 Vdc. When running with no load, it consumes 110mA at 3Vdc, and 500mA with load. The person was looking for a way to determine the capabilities of different motors without having to purchase them. They also asked if they could assume that if the motor were spinning at 100 RPM and consuming 1.5 Volts, it would produce 1.5 Volts if
phatlosz
Does anyone know how to figure out how to calculate a motor's output when used as a generator based on the manufacturer's specs for its operation?

ie. Small, but powerful DC motor. 0.40" x 0.32" x 0.66" long. Operates on 1.5 - 3.6 Vdc. 110mA @ 3Vdc, no load. 500mA with load.
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/DCM-299/1.5-3.6-VDC-MOTOR/1.html"

I'm trying to figure out what various motors are capable of without having to buy all of them.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Did I post this in the right forum, or should I have posted it in another category?

Could I assume that if it the motor were spinning 100 RPM and consumed 1.5 Volts, that it would produce 1.5 Volts if I were spinning it at manually at 100 RPM?

Thanks.

phatlosz said:
Could I assume that if it the motor were spinning 100 RPM and consumed 1.5 Volts, that it would produce 1.5 Volts if I were spinning it at manually at 100 RPM?

Thanks.

Yes. Assuming it is a permanent magnet motor, which yours appears to be.

And yes, I believe this is the correct forum to post this type question.

Thanks for getting back to me... :smile:

1. How do you determine the output of a motor used as a generator?

The output of a motor used as a generator depends on several factors such as the speed of rotation, the strength of the magnetic field, and the efficiency of the conversion process. To calculate the output, you will need to know the values of these factors and use the appropriate equations to determine the output power.

2. What is the equation for calculating the output of a motor used as a generator?

The equation for calculating the output power of a motor used as a generator is P = ω * B * A * η, where P is the output power in watts, ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, B is the magnetic field strength in Tesla, A is the area of the coil in square meters, and η is the efficiency of the conversion process.

3. How can I determine the speed of rotation of the motor for calculating the output?

The speed of rotation of the motor can be determined by measuring the frequency of the output voltage or by using a tachometer. The frequency can be converted to angular velocity using the equation ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency in hertz.

4. What is the significance of the magnetic field strength in calculating the output of a motor used as a generator?

The magnetic field strength is an important factor in calculating the output of a motor used as a generator because it determines the force acting on the conductors in the coil and the amount of voltage induced. A stronger magnetic field will result in a higher output power.

5. Can the efficiency of the conversion process affect the output of a motor used as a generator?

Yes, the efficiency of the conversion process can significantly affect the output of a motor used as a generator. A higher efficiency means that more of the mechanical energy from the rotation is converted into electrical energy, resulting in a higher output power.