Electromagnetic Waves: How & Why They Store Info

In summary, electromagnetic waves can store information by being turned on and off, similar to Morse code. Higher frequency waves can store more information because they can be turned on and off at a faster rate. This method is used in Fiber Optics. Different schemes, such as amplitude and frequency modulation, are used to carry information on radio waves. Information can also be stored in other properties of an electromagnetic field, such as frequency or polarization. This can be useful for encoding information in any physical system.
physixlover
How does the electromagnetic waves store information, what makes these waves to store. (this may be a stupid question but i need to know how)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Information (the kind that we humans use) can be stored in turning the EM wave on and off (kinda like Morse code, but a lot more complicated). This turning on and off mechanism is why higher frequency EM waves can "store" more information, since they can be turned on and off at higher frequencies without destroying the wave.

This method is used for Fiber Optics I believe (I'm not 100% since I haven't really studied this).

It's up to you to modulate the properties of a light field in some way so as to allow someone later to measure these modulations and extract data from them. A simple way might be to send a train of pulses whose polarizations are set to be either vertical or horizontal (as defined by me). I can associate bit values with these two physical states and transmit a bit stream to a person who knows to measure polarizations with a beam splitter (oriented in the correct direction) and a couple of photodetectors.

In principle you could use just about any physical property of an E/M field to encode information (frequency, spatial mode, pulse duration, pulse energy, polarization, etc.).

More generally, you can store information in any physical system whose properties you can arrange in specific ways.

thanks guys,good posts ,your posts will be very helpful for my research

1. What are electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a type of energy that is created by the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. They are invisible to the human eye, but can be detected and measured using specialized equipment.

2. How do electromagnetic waves store information?

Electromagnetic waves store information through variations in their amplitude, frequency, and phase. These variations can be manipulated to carry different types of information, such as sound, images, and data.

3. Why are electromagnetic waves used to store information?

Electromagnetic waves are used to store information because they have several advantages over other forms of energy. They can travel long distances at the speed of light, can be easily manipulated and detected, and do not require a physical medium to propagate.

4. How are electromagnetic waves generated?

Electromagnetic waves are generated by sources that produce oscillating electric and magnetic fields, such as antennas and electrical currents. These waves can also be produced artificially through devices like radios and cell phones.

5. What are some common uses of electromagnetic waves for storing information?

Some common uses of electromagnetic waves for storing information include radio and television broadcasts, cellular communication, WiFi networks, and satellite communication. They are also used in medical imaging, radar technology, and GPS systems.