Understanding the Relation of pdt in Mechanics

• Thread starter Gerenuk
  • Start date
In summary: Overall, p dt is a fundamental quantity in both classical and relativistic mechanics, and it plays a crucial role in understanding the conservation laws and the behavior of systems. In summary, p dt has a physical meaning in both classical and relativistic mechanics, representing infinitesimal amounts of momentum and energy-momentum carried by a particle through a distance in time or space-time. It is a crucial quantity in understanding conservation laws and the behavior of systems.
Gerenuk
I noticed that the relations in mechanics can be seen like:

1) assume conservation of angular momentum
2) from this you can mathematically *derive* that energy as defined by dE=v dp is conserved (if all forces are inverse square)

Up to here we haven't specified whether we are dealing with classical or relativistic mechanics, i.e. we do not know the function p(v).

Now instead of writing E=mc^2 you could *equivalently* write
p dt=E ds
from which all of relativity follows.

Now I am wondering if p dt has a physical meaning. I vaguely recall seeing something in a path integral formulation.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, p dt does have a physical meaning. In classical mechanics, p dt is the infinitesimal amount of momentum that a particle carries when it travels through a distance dt in time. This is related to the path integral formulation of classical mechanics, where an action is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over all possible paths of the system. The infinitesimal differences in the action along different paths can be written as p dt, which gives momentum its physical meaning. In relativistic mechanics, p dt is the infinitesimal amount of energy-momentum that a particle carries when it travels through a distance ds in space-time. This is related to the Einstein field equation, where the stress-energy tensor is defined by the integral of the Lagrangian over all possible paths of the system. The infinitesimal differences in the stress-energy tensor along different paths can be written as p dt, which gives energy-momentum its physical meaning.

1. What is pdt in mechanics?

Pdt in mechanics stands for position, displacement, and time. It is a set of three quantities used to describe the motion of an object.

2. How are position, displacement, and time related in mechanics?

Position is the location of an object, displacement is the change in position, and time is the duration of the motion. In mechanics, these quantities are related through equations such as displacement = final position - initial position and velocity = displacement / time.

3. Why is understanding the relation of pdt important in mechanics?

Understanding the relation of pdt is important in mechanics because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects. It also helps us analyze and solve complex problems involving motion.

4. What are some real-life examples of pdt in mechanics?

Some real-life examples of pdt in mechanics include the motion of a car on a highway, a person walking, and a ball being thrown. In each of these situations, position, displacement, and time are used to describe the motion of the objects.

5. How can I improve my understanding of pdt in mechanics?

To improve your understanding of pdt in mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and applying the equations and concepts. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, and use online resources such as videos and practice quizzes.