Understanding of thermal processes?

• Thread starter Identity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thermal
In summary, the conversation discusses the physical understanding of thermal processes, particularly in the context of isochoric, adiabatic, isobaric, and isothermal processes. The speaker also has questions about the physical processes involved in these types of processes, particularly in relation to isothermal processes. The answer given is to perform the process in a constant-temperature bath and ensure that the system is always equilibrated at this temperature.
Identity
Can someone please help me with my physical understanding of thermal processes?

This is what I understand thus far, is it right? Also I have some questions :P
Isochoric: Lock the piston in place while heating/cooling.
Adiabatic: Push or pull out the piston very fast.
Isobaric: Slowly heat a gas and let the piston pull out. (What is the analogue for compression?)

Isothermal: ? I don't really how an isothermal process occurs physically

Science news on Phys.org

Identity said:
Isothermal: ? I don't really how an isothermal process occurs physically

Perform the process in a constant-temperature bath, and go slowly enough that the system is always equilibrated at this temperature.

Ah ok, thanks Mapes

What is thermal energy?

Thermal energy is a type of kinetic energy that is created by the movement of atoms and molecules in a substance. It is also known as heat energy.

How do thermal processes work?

Thermal processes involve the transfer of thermal energy from a hotter object to a cooler object. This can happen through conduction, convection, or radiation.

What is the difference between temperature and thermal energy?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while thermal energy is the total energy of all the particles in a substance.

What is the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transferred from one form to another.

How are thermal processes used in everyday life?

Thermal processes are used in many everyday activities, such as cooking, heating and cooling buildings, and generating electricity. They are also used in industrial processes, such as manufacturing and transportation.