Find the Vector Equation of Line Perp. to r Passing Through P(1,3,5)

In summary: I've never done that before. I'm used to finding a line perpendicular to another line, not a line perpendicular to a plane. So I did <x-1,y-3,z-5> dot <-3,4,-6> = 0. I got -3x + 4y - 6z - 12 + 12 - 12 = 0, which is -3x + 4y - 6z = 0. I have no idea where I got the = 21 from. I'm very sorry. I made a mistake. I'm very sorry. I pretty much know what I'm doing now. I just need to find a direction vector for the line that will be perpendicular to
adrimare

Homework Statement

Determine the vector equation of the line that passes through the point P(1,3,5) and is perpendicular to the line r = (1,0,5) + t(-3,4,-6).

Homework Equations

n1 dot n2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the normal of the line I need to find and the normal of the line perpendicular to it have to dot to equal 0. The direction vectors of both lines also can dot to equal 0, too, right? I'm just confused on how to get the needed line and/or the normals of both lines.

Physics news on Phys.org

adrimare said:

Homework Statement

Determine the vector equation of the line that passes through the point P(1,3,5) and is perpendicular to the line r = (1,0,5) + t(-3,4,-6).

Homework Equations

n1 dot n2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the normal of the line I need to find and the normal of the line perpendicular to it have to dot to equal 0. The direction vectors of both lines also can dot to equal 0, too, right? I'm just confused on how to get the needed line and/or the normals of both lines.

This is similar to another problem you posted about two parallel lines. In this problem you need to find the dot product of the line's direction vector with a vector from (1, 3, 5) to the line. Every point on the line can be expressed as (1 - 3t, 4t, 5 - 6t).

So I did (1 - 3t, 4t, 5 - 6t) - (1,3,5) and got (3t,4t - 3,6t). So I dotted that by (-3,4,-6) and made it equal to 0. I got -9t + 16t - 12 - 36t = 0. This becomes -29t = 12, which means that t = -29/12. The answer is supposed to be (0,6,4) for the direction vector of the line I want to find. What am I doing wrong? Or is the book answer section wrong again?

adrimare said:
So I did (1 - 3t, 4t, 5 - 6t) - (1,3,5) and got (3t,4t - 3,6t). So I dotted that by (-3,4,-6) and made it equal to 0. I got -9t + 16t - 12 - 36t = 0. This becomes -29t = 12, which means that t = -29/12. The answer is supposed to be (0,6,4) for the direction vector of the line I want to find. What am I doing wrong? Or is the book answer section wrong again?

The purpose of finding the value of t was not just to find a value of t -- it was to find the point on the line. Find the coordinates of the point by substituting the value of t you found in (1 - 3t, 4t, 5 - 6t). BTW, I haven't checked your work for your value of t, so can't guarantee that you'll get the right point.

For one thing, (1 - 3t, 4t, 5 - 6t) - (1,3,5) != (3t, 4t - 3, 6t). Check your arithmetic.

That's what I got, too. Also, I made a mistake with the t-value. It was -12/29. Either way, it doesn't get me (0,6,4), which is the direction vector in the answer section of the book. Am I doing something wrong or is the book wrong?

Are you sure you wrote the problem correctly? I have looked a little more closely at your problem, as you stated it.
adrimare said:
There are an infinite number of lines that are perpendicular to the given line and that pass through P(1, 3, 5). They form the plane whose equation is 3x - 4y + 6z = 21. Notice that <3, -4, 6> is a normal to the plane, and that this vector is paralles to the line's direction (but points the opposite direction). Note also that P(1, 3, 5) satisfies the equation of the plane, since 3(1) - 4(3) + 6(5) = 21.

How did you get the = 21 part of the Cartesian equation? The point (1,0,5) does not work with that. Is it just a part of the line that is not on the plane or something? Would this plane look like a cube? The question also asks for parametric and symmetric equations, but since you can get those from the vector equation, I did not include that part. Anyways, the vector equation is the one I should be finding here primarily because you can use a point and a direction vector to make it.

Also, why do the two lines make a plane with that normal? The line (x,y,z) = (1,0,5) + t(-3,4,-6) is perpendicular to a plane with the normal of (3,-4,6), right? But a line perpendicular to it would have a different direction vector, and the plane formed by them would have a vector of the cross product of the two direction vectors, right? I'm just looking for that direction vector so that I can complete the vector equation needed of r = (1,3,5) + t(a,b,c).

You didn't respond to my question about whether you posted the problem correctly.
adrimare said:
How did you get the = 21 part of the Cartesian equation? The point (1,0,5) does not work with that. Is it just a part of the line that is not on the plane or something? Would this plane look like a cube? The question also asks for parametric and symmetric equations, but since you can get those from the vector equation, I did not include that part. Anyways, the vector equation is the one I should be finding here primarily because you can use a point and a direction vector to make it.
The point (1, 0, 5) doesn't have anything to do with it, so doesn't need to satisfy the plane equation.

I got the equation I gave by making a vector from an arbitrary point (x, y, z) on the plane to (1, 3, 5), and dotting this vector with the direction of the line <-3, 4, -6>. Since the vector in the plane is perpendicular to the direction of the line, the dot product is 0.

No, a plane doesn't look like a cube. How could it? It's a two-dimensional flat surface.
adrimare said:
Also, why do the two lines make a plane with that normal?
You are given only one line. There are an infinite number of lines that are perpendicular to the given line and pass through the given point. Those lines define and generate the plane whose equation I gave. Think of a string stretched tight in space with a point marked on it. Now put the eraser end of a pencil at the point and orient the pencil so that it is perpendicular to the string. You can swing the pencil around in a circle around the string so that in each position the pencil is perpendicular to the string. In each position, the direction vector of the pencil is different, but the dot product of the pencil's direction and the string's direction will be 0.
adrimare said:
The line (x,y,z) = (1,0,5) + t(-3,4,-6) is perpendicular to a plane with the normal of (3,-4,6), right?
Right.
adrimare said:
But a line perpendicular to it would have a different direction vector, and the plane formed by them would have a vector of the cross product of the two direction vectors, right? I'm just looking for that direction vector so that I can complete the vector equation needed of r = (1,3,5) + t(a,b,c).

Yes, I did input the right question. I tried doing what you said, and it still isn't working. Oh well. Thanks.

I guess you're talking about this:
Mark44 said:
I got the equation I gave by making a vector from an arbitrary point (x, y, z) on the plane to (1, 3, 5), and dotting this vector with the direction of the line <-3, 4, -6>. Since the vector in the plane is perpendicular to the direction of the line, the dot product is 0.
<x -1, y -3, z -5>.<-3, 4, -6> = 0
==> ??
Multiply the dot product. What equation do you get?

That works. I got 3x - 4y + 6z -21 = 0. I meant that I tried the stuff in your previous posts and can't match the book answer. I can't get a direction vector to be (0,6,4) or (0,3,2). Because the t-values don't work.

Those answers work as direction vectors, which you can verify by dotting them with <-3, 4, -6>, but I have no idea how the textbook author came up with them.

Any vector that is perpendicular to <-3, 4, -6> will work, which represents an infinite number of vectors, all of which lie in the plane 3x - 4y + 6z = 21.

Seems like a flaky problem to me.

1. What is a vector equation?

A vector equation is an equation that uses vectors to represent a line or a plane in space. It is written in the form of r = r0 + tv, where r0 is the position vector of a point on the line, t is a scalar, and v is a direction vector.

2. What does "perpendicular" mean in this context?

In this context, "perpendicular" means that the line we are trying to find is at a 90 degree angle to another line or plane. This means that the two lines are intersecting at a right angle.

3. How do I find the vector equation of a line that is perpendicular to another line?

To find the vector equation of a line that is perpendicular to another line, you will need to use the cross product of the direction vectors of the two lines. This will give you a direction vector that is perpendicular to both lines. Then, you can use the given point to find the position vector and write the equation in the form of r = r0 + tv.

4. What information do I need to find the vector equation of a line that is perpendicular to another line?

You will need the position vector of a point on the line, the direction vector of the line you are trying to find the perpendicular line to, and a given point that the perpendicular line must pass through.

5. Can there be multiple vector equations for a line that is perpendicular to another line?

No, there can only be one vector equation for a line that is perpendicular to another line. This is because the direction vector of the perpendicular line must be unique in order for it to be perpendicular to the other line.