Inverse Laplace transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the inverse Laplace transformation of an equation involving the shifting theorem. The correct use of parentheses and separating the numerator is suggested to obtain a straightforward solution. The expert also thanks the person for their quick response and help.
Koshi

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find the inverse Laplace transformation of the following equation

Homework Equations

G(s) = s+1/s2+25

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using one of the shifting theorems because I know that L-1 {1/s2+25} is just sin(5t) but I don't know how to get rid of the numerator.

Physics news on Phys.org
Koshi said:

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to find the inverse Laplace transformation of the following equation

Homework Equations

G(s) = s+1/s2+25

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking of using one of the shifting theorems because I know that L-1 {1/s2+25} is just sin(5t) but I don't know how to get rid of the numerator.
You should get into the habit of using parentheses to write rational expressions correctly.

This is how what you wrote would be interpreted:
[tex]G(s) = s + \frac{1}{s^2} + 25[/tex]

Here is what I believe you really meant:
[tex]G(s) = \frac{s + 1}{s^2 + 25}[/tex]

To convey what I think you meant when you write in on one line, use parentheses.
G(s) = (s + 1)/(s2 + 25)

Split your expression to get G(s) = s/(s2 + 25) + 1/(s2 + 25). From that you can get L-1(G(s)) = L-1( s/(s2 + 25)) + L-1(1/(s2 + 25)), both of which are straightforward.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Here is what I believe you really meant:
[tex]G(s) = \frac{s + 1}{s^2 + 25}[/tex]

Yes that is what I meant to type, my mistake.

I didn't even think of separating the numerator of the equation. :blushing: But I see exactly what you mean.

Thank you so much for the help and the quick reply!

What is an inverse Laplace transformation?

An inverse Laplace transformation is a mathematical operation that takes a function in the Laplace domain and transforms it back to the time domain. It is the reverse process of a Laplace transformation, which transforms a time-domain function into the Laplace domain.

Why is an inverse Laplace transformation used?

An inverse Laplace transformation is used to solve differential equations in the time domain. It allows us to convert complex equations in the Laplace domain into simpler equations in the time domain, making it easier to solve for the original function.

What are the properties of an inverse Laplace transformation?

Some of the properties of an inverse Laplace transformation include linearity, time shifting, and scaling. These properties allow us to manipulate the transformation to solve different types of equations and problems.

How is an inverse Laplace transformation performed?

An inverse Laplace transformation is performed using various methods, such as partial fraction decomposition, convolution, and residue theorem. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the function and the desired outcome.

What are the applications of an inverse Laplace transformation?

An inverse Laplace transformation has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields of science. It is used to model and analyze dynamic systems, such as electrical circuits, mechanical systems, and chemical reactions. It is also used in signal processing and control systems.