Help calculating power required to drive shaft

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the motor size required to drive shaft A, which rotates at 75 RPM and has a weight of 30kg attached to it. The dimensions of the plunger are also given. The suggested method involves finding the integral of force with respect to distance and evaluating it, taking into account the weight of the block and the water displaced. Additional considerations include the maximum torque and the effect of drag forces.
Whatamiat

Homework Statement

Calculate the motor size required to drive shaft A. (shown in schematic 1 diagram)

Drive shaft rotates at 75 Rpm.

Weight of plunger + attachments = 30kg's

Dimensions of plunger given in schematic 2.

Homework Equations

Work done = F x d (distance = radius of cam x 2 = .6m)
Power = work/time

The Attempt at a Solution

Neglecting the weight of the plunger and attachments to the drive shaft of the motor. I
Just looking at a direct relationship between maximum water displaced and power.

The maximum depth under water (Plunger profile) of 600mm x588 x 1219.2 displaces 215kg of water.

Force = 215 x 9.81 = 2109.15N

Work done = F x d = 2109.5 x.6 = 1265.5J

Power = Work/Time = 1265.5/(.4) = 3164 W or 3.164kW

Would I be right to recalculate this allowing for the weight of the plunger and attachments aiding the displacement of water? eg:
215-30=185kg

F = 185 x 9.81 ...etc?

Is my method here right? or am I way off on how this problem should be calculated?

Attachments

• Scematic.JPG
    Scematic.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 572
  • Schematic 2.JPG
    Schematic 2.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 564
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem seems tricky. How I would do it is:
-Note that you need to find the integral of force with respect to distance the wedge has been lifted as you draw the wedge out of the water
-Force is equal to weight of the block - weight of water displaced. You can determine the weight of the water displaced in terms of the distance lifted.
-Make an integral for the total work lifting the block out of water using these two facts and evaluate it. Add the amount of work it takes to get the block from just out of the water to the apex of its movement. Multiply by 75 since the motor must do this 75 times per second, and you'll have the total wattage the motor must output. This is not the only thing you must consider; I would also calculate the max torque and see if your motor can handle it.
If you double check your work using the method I outlined above you can be doubly confident in your answer.

kerrick said:
-Force is equal to weight of the block - weight of water displaced. You can determine the weight of the water displaced in terms of the distance lifted.

30 kg - 215kg = -185kg or 185 kg
Multiplying this x 9.81 to get force = 1815N

kerrick said:
-Make an integral for the total work lifting the block out of water using these two facts and evaluate it. Add the amount of work it takes to get the block from just out of the water to the apex of its movement. Multiply by 75 since the motor must do this 75 times per second, and you'll have the total wattage the motor must output. This is not the only thing you must consider; I would also calculate the max torque and see if your motor can handle it.
If you double check your work using the method I outlined above you can be doubly confident in your answer.

I am unsure what you mean here.
What I did was make an integral for the Force with repsect to distance:
∫_0^xm▒( F)(x)dx

=1815 [x^2/2]_0^(.6)
=326.7 N

"Add the amount of work it takes to get the block from just out of the water to the apex of its movement"
Is this what I calulated in my original post?
= 326.7 + 1265.5 = 1592.2

"Multiply by 75 since the motor must do this 75 times per second, and you'll have the total wattage the motor must output."
The motor rotates at 75 rpm not second.
So this is 1.25 times a second.

= 1592.2x1.25 = 1990 W

What am I doing wrong here?

not sure how to solve this but at 75rpm shouldn't drag forces be considered?

I never even considered drag, but for this problem I would be happy to ignore its effect.
Anyone got any Ideas?

1. What is power and how is it related to driving a shaft?

Power is the rate at which work is done or energy is transferred. In the context of driving a shaft, power is the amount of energy required to rotate the shaft at a certain speed.

2. How do I calculate the power required to drive a shaft?

The formula for calculating power is power = torque x rotational speed. To determine the power required to drive a shaft, you will need to know the torque (force applied to the shaft) and the rotational speed (how fast the shaft is rotating).

3. What units are used for power when calculating the power required to drive a shaft?

Power is typically measured in watts (W) or horsepower (hp) when calculating the power required to drive a shaft. One horsepower is equivalent to 746 watts.

4. How do I determine the torque required to drive a shaft?

To calculate the torque required to drive a shaft, you will need to know the rotational speed and the power required. The formula for torque is torque = power / rotational speed. You can also measure torque using a torque wrench.

5. What factors influence the power required to drive a shaft?

The power required to drive a shaft can be influenced by various factors such as the weight of the load being moved, the friction in the bearings or gears, and the efficiency of the motor or engine driving the shaft. Other factors may include the type of material the shaft is made of and the speed at which it needs to rotate.