Minimum Uncertainty in Measuring Velocity of a Particle in X-direction.

In summary, the minimum uncertainty in measuring the velocity of the particle in the x direction is negligible.
omegas

Homework Statement

A small flat circular disc of diameter 2mm and mass 5mg is lowered vertically to rest at the centre of a flat tray of width 10mm in the x direction and 50mm in the y direction. What is the minimum uncertainty in measuring the velocity of the particle in the x direction? Considering possible motion only in the x direction, determine whether it is likely that the disc would touch the side of the tray in a given time:
(a) overnight
(b) in the lifetime of the Universe (approx. 15 billion years)

Homework Equations

The only equation I can muster up is Heisenberg's
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x[tex]\Delta[/tex]p ~ h

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to go about this one. Not sure I understand the problem at all. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, I'm not sure I understand it either. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is the only equation I can think of, but it seems pretty useless because you're given no information about the uncertainty in position of the wavefunction.

What I really don't understand is that it says the disk is at rest, which I am assuming means there is no velocity, so how can I measure [tex]\Delta[/tex]p?

Hmmm...could I just set [tex]\Delta[/tex]p = h [tex]\Delta[/tex]x? The change in x would be the difference in the edge of the disc and the side of the tray in the x direction, right? So [tex]\Delta[/tex]x would be 4mm to the side of the tray. I know h = 6.62*10-24 and p = m v and my mass would be 5mg. So if I fenagle around I can get v = (h[tex]\Delta[/tex]x) / m. Would this be right?

omegas said:
Hmmm...could I just set [tex]\Delta[/tex]p = h [tex]\Delta[/tex]x? The change in x would be the difference in the edge of the disc and the side of the tray in the x direction, right? So [tex]\Delta[/tex]x would be 4mm to the side of the tray. I know h = 6.62*10-24 and p = m v and my mass would be 5mg. So if I fenagle around I can get v = (h[tex]\Delta[/tex]x) / m. Would this be right?
Nope... for starters, the units don't work out for that, so it can't be a correct equation.

Also, though, what [itex]\Delta x[/itex] really means is the standard deviation of a wavefunction in position space. It doesn't actually correspond to any physical distance between two objects. And in your case especially, a disk several mm in diameter is going to be an essentially classical object, which means the standard deviation of its wavefunction is extremely tiny. Definitely much smaller than the disk itself.

By the way, saying that the disk is at rest really means that any velocity it may have is below the tolerance of your measuring equipment. When you get down to the smallest scales, you can't really know that the velocity is exactly zero because there's some uncertainty in the position (and also usually there's thermal motion, of course).

What is minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction?

Minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction is a principle in quantum mechanics that states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which the position and velocity of a particle can be simultaneously measured. It is also known as the Heisenberg uncertainty principle.

How is minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction determined?

The minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction is determined by the product of the uncertainties in the position and momentum of the particle. This product must be greater than or equal to the reduced Planck constant divided by 2. This means that the more precisely we measure the position of a particle, the less precisely we can measure its velocity, and vice versa.

What is the importance of minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction?

The minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction is important because it sets a limit on the accuracy of our measurements in the microscopic world. It also has implications for the behavior of particles, as it shows that the act of measurement itself can affect the state of a particle.

Can the minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction be overcome?

No, the minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and cannot be overcome. However, scientists have developed techniques such as entanglement and quantum computing to minimize the effects of this uncertainty.

How does minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction relate to other uncertainty principles?

The minimum uncertainty in measuring velocity of a particle in the X-direction is one of several uncertainty principles in quantum mechanics. It is closely related to the uncertainty principle for position and momentum, as well as the uncertainty principle for energy and time. These principles all stem from the fundamental concept that it is impossible to know the exact state of a particle at a given moment in time.