About bose-Einstein condensate

In summary, light slows down considerably when it passes through one due to the medium absorbing and releasing the light energy. This is what determines the speed that the light appears to be moving through the medium.
Jim Beam
how does light slow down considerably when it passes through one? i have always been told that lights speed remains constant. as with many questions, i have my own personaol theories for answers, but i want to find out for sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of light through a vacuum is constant; the speed at which light propogates through various substances can differ significantly. Now you must realize, the actual speed of the light is still constant, but the light passing through a medium will get absorbed by atoms within that medium (where the energy from the light "pauses" for a moment, not moving at all), then re-emitted. The amount of time the light energy is trapped in the atom determines the speed at which light appears to be moving through that medium, but this is actually the result of light coming to a dead stop, then moving on at c, over and over again.

This is not a property exclusive to BEC's, most if not all mediums slow the progress of light.

i see. i knew that light speed only remained constant in a vacuum, but i suppose my true question was why it didn't remain so in a medium

Jim Beam said:
i see. i knew that light speed only remained constant in a vacuum, but i suppose my true question was why it didn't remain so in a medium

Then you need to understand (i) the difference between group velocity and phase velocity; (ii) the mechanism of optical conductivity in gasses and non-vacuum media (I have written lengthy essays on this somewhere in here) and (iii) how we actually detect what is moving at what speed in anything.

Zz.

Zz, does this not get boring at times? It does for me. I get really tired of trying to explain the same thing over and over and over. If I had a theory-busting concept I would at least show the math. Pardon my disrespect for the math challenged.

1. What is a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC)?

A Bose-Einstein condensate is a state of matter that occurs at extremely low temperatures, close to absolute zero. It is made up of a large number of particles, usually atoms, that have cooled down to their lowest possible energy state, allowing them to behave as a single entity with unique properties.

2. How is a Bose-Einstein condensate created?

A Bose-Einstein condensate is created by cooling a gas of atoms to extremely low temperatures, typically less than 1 microkelvin. This is achieved using specialized cooling techniques, such as laser cooling and evaporative cooling, which remove the atoms' excess energy and cause them to condense into the lowest possible energy state.

3. What are the unique properties of a Bose-Einstein condensate?

A Bose-Einstein condensate exhibits properties of both a particle and a wave, known as wave-particle duality. This allows it to display interference patterns, similar to those of light waves. It also has a macroscopic size, meaning it can be observed with the naked eye, and behaves as a superfluid, meaning it has zero viscosity and can flow without any resistance.

4. What are the applications of Bose-Einstein condensates?

Bose-Einstein condensates have potential applications in various fields, such as quantum computing, precision measurements, and the study of fundamental physics. They can also be used to simulate systems that are difficult to study in the laboratory, providing insights into complex phenomena.

5. What are the current challenges in studying Bose-Einstein condensates?

One of the main challenges in studying Bose-Einstein condensates is maintaining the low temperatures required for their formation and stability. Another challenge is controlling and manipulating the condensate, as it is very sensitive to external factors such as magnetic and electric fields. Additionally, further research is needed to understand the behavior of Bose-Einstein condensates at different temperatures and in different systems.