Leaving a REU Early - Advice Needed

• Thread starter vladittude0583
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu
In summary, the individual is currently participating in a 10-week REU program in Astroparticle Physics Research. They have realized midway through the program that the project does not interest them and they are struggling with writing the final programming code. They also have family issues back home and are considering quitting the program early. However, the advice given is to continue working and discuss their concerns with their advisor. It is also noted that research does not always go as planned and that there is value in understanding why something does not work. Overall, the individual should not be discouraged by this experience and it may serve as a valuable learning opportunity for their future studies in physics.
vladittude0583
Hey guys, I'm currently involved in a 10 week REU program which ends in the 1st week of August and I know there are literally like 2 weeks left in the program with the last half of the last week reserved for our presentations and report, however, is there a way to "quit" a REU before the program officially ends? Honestly, the project I'm working doesn't interest me whatsoever of which I realized about halfway through the program and for me, I dread coming to the lab everyday especially being on a computer for so long trying to write up the final programming code necessary to analyze the data. We're using ROOT, however, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on computer programming and I just feel like my advisor(s) want me to write up this huge code before the program ends and I don't think I'll be able to. To top it off, this is my first research experience outside of lab work in the traditional physics courses, thus, I'm learning many things due to all the lectures we've had, but I'm not able to retain it all. My biggest fear is when the program ends and I have to write up a report, but don't really have any analyzed data to present? For those interested, my REU is involved in Astroparticle Physics Research and I am currently a physics major, however, this experience has really made me think about pursuing further studies in physics. Also, I have family issues going on back home that's too hard to not think about (my dad has been hospitalized 3x since the start of my REU program). Lastly, I accepted the REU via online e-mail, thus, I didn't really sign any official paperwork w/the exception of the acceptance of the stipend. Thus, what advice can you guys give? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm probably around your age and thus don't have too much experience in academia but my initial thoughts are...

1. Don't quit. If it is miserable, just remind yourself you've only got two weeks left. Keep working on what you're doing but maybe do some self study in your time off to keep your mind turned on and engaged in something.

2. Discuss what you've said here with your adviser. I probably wouldn't mention you want to quit since it's likely that isn't an option in his/her mind, but your concerns are definitely valid, so seeing what your adviser has to say is not going to hurt you.

part of the reason the NSF funds REUs so to give people a chance to experience research they would not have otherwise. In the sheer number, some people are going to be unhappy. even the best baseball players bat like .350 or something.

How is it that quitting with only a couple weeks left is a better option than completing what you believe will be a mediocre or incomplete project?

Keep in mind that research doesn't always work the way it's supposed to. If at the end of the term you don't have a working code, it may be sufficient to report on the work you've done and explain why your methodology was not successful. There is value in understanding why something doesn't work. I agree with Newtime - talk this over with your advisor.

From a personal growth point of view, perhaps this was a valuable experience. It's better to find out now that you don't like research, than mid-way through a PhD.

Hello,

I understand that you are currently involved in a REU program and are considering leaving early due to a lack of interest in your project and difficulties with the programming aspect. I can imagine this is a difficult decision to make, especially since it is your first research experience outside of traditional lab work. I also sympathize with the family issues you are facing back home.

My advice would be to first speak with your advisor(s) and express your concerns. They may be able to offer guidance and support, and possibly even suggest alternative projects or tasks that align more with your interests and strengths. It is important to communicate openly and honestly with your advisor(s) as they are there to support you and help you grow as a researcher.

If after discussing with your advisor(s) you still feel that leaving the program early is the best option for you, then I would recommend speaking with the program coordinator or director. They can provide information on the proper procedures for leaving the program and may be able to offer resources or support for any personal or family issues you are facing.

In terms of the report and presentation, be honest with your advisor(s) about your concerns and limitations. They may be able to work with you to find a solution that still allows you to present your findings and contribute to the project in a meaningful way.

Lastly, I would also recommend reaching out to other students or mentors in the program for support and advice. They may have similar experiences or be able to offer insights that can help you make the best decision for yourself.

Overall, it is important to prioritize your well-being and make the decision that is best for you. Research experiences can be challenging, but they are also valuable learning experiences. I wish you the best of luck in finding a resolution that works for you.

What is a REU?

A REU, or Research Experience for Undergraduates, is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) that allows undergraduate students to participate in hands-on research projects in various scientific fields.

Why would someone want to leave a REU early?

There can be various reasons for leaving a REU early, such as personal or family emergencies, health issues, or conflicts with the project or team.

Is it common for students to leave a REU early?

It is not common for students to leave a REU early, as the program is designed for students to complete the full duration of the project. However, in certain circumstances, leaving early may be necessary.

What are the potential consequences of leaving a REU early?

Leaving a REU early may result in not completing the project and not receiving a final evaluation or recommendation from the mentor. It may also affect future opportunities for funding or research experiences.

What steps should someone take if they need to leave a REU early?

If you need to leave a REU early, it is important to communicate with your mentor and program coordinator as soon as possible. They can help you make arrangements and provide any necessary support. It is also important to document your reasons for leaving and the work you have completed so far.