How Much Work Is Needed to Compress a Spring?

So the correct calculation would be:WC= 1/2 * 87 * 0.086^2 = 0.32JIn summary, the work done to compress the spring with a spring constant of 87 N/m by a distance of 8.6cm is 0.32J.
Chica1975

Homework Statement

A spring, with a spring constant of 87 N/m, was compressed a distance of 8.6cm (0.086m). How much work was done in order to compress the spring?

Homework Equations

WC=1/2kd^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to plug in the numbers as follows in the above equation - but I can't get the answer out. I have been doing this for ages am like a broken record - pse snap me out of this programming!

WC= 2*87*.086^2 = 1.286904J
Apparently, the correct answer is .32J

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
you are off by a factor of 4
you multiplied by 2
maybe you were supposed to multiply by 1/2

thanks - I tried to recalculate it this is not the case.

Chica1975 said:

Homework Equations

WC=1/2kd^2
According to this equation, you are supposed to multiply kd2 by 1/2, not by 2.

I would like to first commend you for your persistence and determination in trying to solve this problem. It is important to keep trying and not give up, even when faced with challenges.

Now, let's take a look at the problem and your attempt at a solution. The equation you used, WC=1/2kd^2, is the correct equation for calculating the work done in compressing a spring. However, there is a mistake in your calculation.

To find the work done, we need to use the values of the spring constant (k) and the distance compressed (d) in meters. In your attempt, you used 87 N/m for the spring constant, which is correct. However, for the distance compressed, you used 0.086m instead of 0.086m. This is a simple error, but it significantly affects the result.

So, let's try the calculation again using the correct values:

WC= 1/2 * 87 * (0.086)^2 = 0.3138 J

This is close to the correct answer of 0.32 J. The slight difference could be due to rounding off of numbers.

In conclusion, the work done to compress the spring is 0.32 J. It is important to pay attention to units and use the correct values in calculations to get accurate results. Keep up the good work!

1. How does work affect the compression of a spring?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement. When a force is applied to compress a spring, work is being done to overcome the spring's resistance and cause it to compress. The more work that is done, the more the spring will compress.

2. What factors affect the amount of work needed to compress a spring?

The work needed to compress a spring depends on the amount of force applied, the distance the spring is compressed, and the stiffness or spring constant of the spring. A stiffer spring will require more work to compress, while a weaker spring will require less work.

3. Can a spring be compressed without doing any work?

No, in order to compress a spring, some amount of work must be done. The force applied to the spring must overcome the spring's resistance in order for it to compress.

4. What is the relationship between work and the potential energy of a compressed spring?

When a spring is compressed, it stores potential energy in the form of elastic potential energy. The amount of potential energy stored in a compressed spring is equal to the work done to compress it. This potential energy is released when the spring is allowed to return to its original shape.

5. How does the work to compress a spring change if the spring is compressed at a slower or faster rate?

The work done to compress a spring is independent of the rate at which it is compressed. As long as the force and distance remain the same, the work done will be the same regardless of the speed at which the spring is compressed.