Analytical expression for electro-field around rectangle waveguide?

In summary, the conversation discusses the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide, with a refractive index n1 for the core and n2 for the surrounding cladding. The waveguide is embedded in the cladding material and has a cross-section that is surrounded by four corner regions and four other regions labeled I-V. The electrical field expression can be easily obtained in regions II, III, IV, and V using either EIM or perturbation methods. However, when the mode is near cutoff, the x and y dependent solutions are strongly coupled in the corner regions, making it difficult to obtain an analytical expression. While it is common to neglect the field in the corner regions, the current study requires a more accurate understanding of the electrical field distribution
Cao Yu
i am now trying to figure out the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide. the refractive index of the waveguide is n1, which is larger than that of the cladding, namely n2, outside. we may regard the waveguide embeded in the cladding material.

as following shown, the waveguide crossection is the region I. It is surrounded by region II, III, IV, V and four corner regions.

i i
i III i
i i
---------------------------------------------------
i i
V i I i IV
i i
---------------------------------------------------
i i
i II i
i i

it is easy to get the electrical field expression in II, III, IV and V, by using EIM or purtabation method. Now my question is how to get the analytical expression in the four corner region, when the mode in the waveguide is near cutoff?

when the mode is far from cutoff, we will separate the mode into uncoupled X(x) and Y(y) solutions. in this way, we can tract the results for Ex and Ey separately. but if the mode is near cutoff, the x and y dependent solutions will be strongly coupled through the boundary conditions in the corner regions.

people normally neglect the field in the corner regions as their approximation. but the case i am studying now can not take this approximation. so i need to know all the electrical field distributuion around the waveguide.

anyboday has good idea? thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
oh, the picture gets into a mass. hope someboday can understand it.

III and II are the regions just above and below the waveguide core, which is noted as I.

IV and V are the regions on the right and left of the core I.

The analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide can be obtained by solving the Maxwell's equations for the electric field in each region of the waveguide. The electric field in region I, where the waveguide is located, can be written as a combination of the x and y components, Ex and Ey, respectively. The electric field in the other regions, II, III, IV, and V, can be obtained using the boundary conditions at the interfaces between the regions.

To obtain the analytical expression for the electric field in the corner regions, where the mode is near cutoff, we can use the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the mode into uncoupled X(x) and Y(y) solutions and then combining them to get the total electric field in the corner regions. However, in this case, the x and y dependent solutions will be strongly coupled due to the boundary conditions in the corner regions.

In order to accurately obtain the electric field distribution in the corner regions, it is important to consider the full coupling between the x and y components of the electric field. Neglecting the field in the corner regions may lead to an inaccurate solution, especially when the mode is near cutoff.

One approach to obtaining the analytical expression for the electric field in the corner regions could be to use numerical methods such as finite element or finite difference methods. These methods can handle the strong coupling between the x and y components of the electric field and provide accurate results for the electric field distribution around the waveguide.

Another approach could be to use perturbation methods, where the solution is obtained by making small changes to a known solution. In this case, the known solution could be the electric field distribution in the other regions of the waveguide. However, this method may be more challenging as the perturbation equations can become complex when dealing with strong coupling between the x and y components of the electric field.

In conclusion, obtaining the analytical expression for the electric field distribution around a rectangle waveguide, particularly in the corner regions near cutoff, can be a challenging task. Careful consideration and accurate methods, such as numerical or perturbation methods, must be used to obtain an accurate solution.

1. What is an analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide?

An analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide is a mathematical equation that describes the strength and direction of the electric field at any point in space around the waveguide. It takes into account the dimensions and material properties of the waveguide, as well as the frequency and type of electromagnetic wave propagating through it.

2. How is the analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide derived?

The analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide is derived using Maxwell's equations, which relate the electric and magnetic fields to the sources of electromagnetic waves. By solving these equations for the specific geometry and boundary conditions of a rectangle waveguide, an analytical expression can be obtained.

3. What factors influence the analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide?

The analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide is influenced by several factors, including the dimensions and shape of the waveguide, the material properties of the waveguide, the frequency and type of electromagnetic wave, and any external sources or boundaries that may affect the electric field.

4. Can the analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide be used for any type of waveguide?

No, the analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide is specific to the rectangular geometry. Different types of waveguides, such as circular or elliptical, have their own unique analytical expressions for the electric field.

5. How is the analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide used in practical applications?

The analytical expression for the electro-field around a rectangle waveguide is used in the design and analysis of various microwave and optical devices, such as antennas, filters, and couplers. It allows engineers and researchers to accurately predict the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a waveguide and optimize the performance of these devices.