Investigating Mysterious Salty Taste in Water

• Thread starter rorobee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, the conversation is about the noticeable taste of salt in the water and potential ways to remove it. The participants discuss the results of their water tests and how different boiling processes can affect the amount of salt left in the water. They also mention the possibility of using a water softener to remove the salt and the health implications of drinking water with a high salt content.
rorobee
Hi all , we have a noticeable taste of a salt in our water.
I don't know what kind of salt it is.
Is there any way to precipitate it out ?

We have had our water tested , but apparently they don't test for a salt.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
How was the water tested? I had mine tested using a kit I got at a hardware store and my water is ridiculously hard. That hardness is mostly calcium ions.

You can boil the water and what's left after you boil it will be whatever is dissolved in it.

rorobee said:
We have had our water tested , but apparently they don't test for a salt.

So, what was the test for? What were the results? Could be the information is there, you just don't understand it.

russ_watters said:
You can boil the water and what's left after you boil it will be whatever is dissolved in it.
Russ.
I'm glad you brought that up..
i did boil the water .
It has strange properties.
It seems the slower that it is heated , the less shows up at the end.
ie. if you were to boil vigorously there is more left in the bottom of the container , than if the heat is turned down near the end .

My way of thinking is it shouldn't matter what the boiling process is , there should still be the same amount of greyish powder left in the end .

but that's not what happens..

Borek .

i will look for the report and get back to you.

Ok these are the results.

Chemistry Parameter Result

Free Chlorine 0.14 mg/l
Total chlorine 2.9 mg/l
PH 7.57 standard units
Turbidity 0.32 NTU
color 3 color units
Total hardness 33 mg/l
Alkalinity 37 mg/l
Conductavity 257 mS/cm
Total Dissolived Solids 126 mg/l
Dissolved Oxygen 11.95 mg/l

Bacterological Parameter

Total Coliform Bacteria Absent
E. coli Bacteria Absent
Hetrotrophic Plate Count Not Tested

I had the values lined up in a column but the software changed the look of it.

OK, there is no test for particular cations and anions, so there is no way of telling what is dissolved.

Note that it is not easy to tell what salts are dissolved. For example, if you dissolve 0.9530g of CaSO4 and 0.8182g of NaCl in 1L of water (CaSO4 is soluble enough for that), solution will be identical to the one obtained by dissolving 0.7769g of CaCl2 and 0.9943g of Na2SO4. Question whether such solution contains calcium chloride or sodium chloride is a moot - it contains calcium, sodium and chloride ions.

conductivity test of drinking water

Borek
Thanks for your reply and diligence.

I thought the conductivity test was interesting. It should give an indication of the number of ions in solution .

For reference the test of my water was 257mS/cm.

Acording to wikipedia "typical drinking water in the range of 5-50 mS/m, while sea water about 5 S/m[2] (i.e., sea water's conductivity is one million times higher than deionized water)."

Well if it tastes salty, it's probably table salt (sodium chloride). Different salts do have pretty distinct tastes (try it yourself, sodium chloride vs potassium chloride vs calcium chloride vs calcium bicarbonate).

If it's a bother, you can always get a water softener. Otherwise, it's probably mostly a matter of taste and the inconvenience that it can case with scaling on pipes and in appliances. Unless you're on a low-sodium diet, it's not likely to be a health hazard (even then I'm not sure the concentrations would be high enough in any water still considered freshwater, much less drinking water).

rorobee said:
257mS/cm

High.

What causes water to have a salty taste?

Water can have a salty taste due to various reasons such as high levels of minerals and salts in the water, contamination from seawater or saltwater intrusion, or the presence of certain bacteria or algae in the water.

Is it safe to drink water with a salty taste?

Drinking water with a salty taste can be harmful to our health, as high levels of salt and minerals can have adverse effects on our body. It is best to avoid drinking water with a salty taste and find the source of the issue.

What methods can be used to investigate the source of a salty taste in water?

There are a few methods that can be used to investigate the source of a salty taste in water. These include conducting a water analysis to test for mineral and salt levels, checking for contamination from seawater or saltwater intrusion, and testing for the presence of bacteria or algae in the water.

How can the issue of a salty taste in water be resolved?

The solution to addressing a salty taste in water depends on the source of the issue. If it is due to high levels of minerals and salts, a water softener or filtration system can be installed. If contamination is the cause, the source of the contamination needs to be identified and addressed. If bacteria or algae are present, disinfecting the water or using a UV filter can help resolve the issue.

Can a salty taste in water indicate a larger problem with the water source?

Yes, a salty taste in water can indicate a larger problem with the water source. It could be a sign of contamination or high levels of minerals and salts, which can have other negative impacts on the quality of the water. It is important to further investigate the issue and address it to ensure the safety and quality of the water.