How legit is R considered in industry and labwork?

• Thread starter WatermelonPig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Industry
In summary, there are alternatives to SAS for analyzing data, such as R. However, if your school requires you to use SAS, you will need to purchase it. R is highly regarded and commonly used in various fields, including at a national nuclear lab and in the Applied Math department at a well-known math and science university.
WatermelonPig
Especially in comparison to SAS? I really don't have the money to buy SAS and I can't get it from my school so I'm looking for alternatives.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is very well regarded, but if your school requires you to have SAS you need to buy SAS.

I know that this is anecdotal, but I know a few people working at a giant national nuclear lab, and they say that they all use R to analyze experimental data. It's also the standard in the Applied Math department at my school(which is a somewhat well-known math/science university). So I hope that's encouraging.

1. How widely is R used in industry and labwork?

R is widely used in both industry and labwork, particularly in fields such as data analysis, statistics, and machine learning. Many companies and research institutions use R as their primary programming language for data analysis and modeling.

2. Is R considered a legitimate language for scientific research?

Yes, R is considered a legitimate language for scientific research. It has a robust set of statistical and data analysis packages and is widely used in academia for scientific research in various fields.

3. How does R compare to other programming languages in terms of speed and efficiency?

R is generally slower than languages like Python or C++ due to its interpreted nature. However, with the use of efficient packages and techniques such as parallel processing, R can achieve comparable speeds to other languages for data analysis and modeling tasks.

4. Are there any limitations to using R in industry and labwork?

One limitation of using R in industry and labwork is its lack of support for large, complex datasets. R is not as scalable as other programming languages, which can make it challenging to handle big data. Additionally, R may not be the best choice for tasks that require real-time processing or interaction with other software systems.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in statistics to use R in industry and labwork?

While a strong background in statistics can be helpful when using R, it is not a requirement. R has a vast and supportive community, and there are many online resources available for learning and using R for data analysis and modeling. Additionally, there are packages and functions in R that make statistical analysis more intuitive and accessible for those without a strong statistics background.