Net Ionic Eqn for NaOCl & Na2S2O3 Reaction: Calculate Enthalpy Change

• Thread starter needhelpperson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ionic Net
In summary, the net ionic equation for the reaction between a 0.5M solution of sodium hypochlorite and a 0.5M solution of sodium thiosulfate is 4ClO^- + ^-S-S[(=O)]_2-O^- + 2OH^- -> 4Cl^- + 2SO_4^{2-} + H_2O. The enthalpy change for this reaction can be calculated by counting the molecules on both sides and applying the relevant formula. The difference between enthalpy change and standard heat of formation is that one is a measure of change in energy during a reaction while the other is a measure of the energy needed to form a compound from its
needhelpperson
What is the net ionic equation for the reaction of 0.5M solution of sodium hypochlorite and 0.5M solution of sodium thiosulfate? Calculate the enthalpy change.

I have a very terrible chemistry teacher. I haven't learned how to write ionic equations yet, but he wants this assignment for marks.

Besides that, enthalpy change, we've done somewhat of it. But we don't have the numbers for the bond energies. I don't even know the equation yet so i really don't know how to solve this at all. And is there a difference between the enthalpy change and standard heat of formation? I looked up a chart for Sodium hypochlorite, but it doesn't say the Hf of the it. I am really stuck here. Please help me with this whole problem.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think hypochlorite (bleach) will oxidize the sulfide sulfur in thiosulfate to give sulfate ion, along with the reduced form of hypochlorite, that is, chloride:

[tex]4Cl^+ +8e^- \longrightarrow 4Cl^-[/tex]
[tex] S^{2-}\longrightarrow S^{6+}+8e^-[/tex]

Now, as one sulfur is removed and one atom (oxygen) has to come there, we should put water and hydroxide to either sides.

[tex]4ClO^- + \underbrace{^-S-S[(=O)]_2-O^-}_{S_2O_3^{2-}} + 2OH^- \longrightarrow 4Cl^- + 2SO_4^{2-} + H_2O[/tex]

About entropy change, you should count the molecules in both sides and apply the relevant formula (a 7-7 tie is present, so what the answer might be?).

Thanks a lot. But how could you tell that hypochlorite will oxidize the sulfide from thiosulfate? It's stuff like this that we don't learn. He just gives us the equations and we don't understand the stuff. I hate this teacher so much...
But thanks for your help though. I appreciate it.

As well I'm trying to find the heat of formation for hypochlorite and thiosulfate but i can't find it anywhere. Would you know what it is or where to find it? thanks

If it's not any problem, can you show a step by step approach to how you reached the equation? I'm trying to learn these stuff by myself and this would help a lot. Again, thanks alot.

Last edited:
  1. Write the half-redox reactions, assuming that the sulfur is to be oxidized from sulfide (2-) to sulfate (6+); eight electrons are released in this half reaction. So, if hypochlorite provides only two, since Cl(+) to Cl(-) requires two electrons, multiply this with 4 to balance the electrons. Remember that no electron can be free in redox reactions.
  2. Combine these two half-redox reactions to obtain a balanced reaction.
  3. Convert them into more useful ones like ClO- for Cl+. For sulfide, you'll do the conversion as S2- to SO42-.
  4. Now, why did I choose sulfide? Oxygen in sulfate never wants to be oxidized, and as sulfide is bigger, it has less control over outer shell electrons; so they can be easily modified.
  5. Since hypochlorite is a good oxidizer, I presumed that a full oxidation scheme is to be followed; however, oxidation states lower than 6+ may also be possible; it may only involve sulfur, I mean, just remove two electrons from sulfide to obtain elemental sulfur, this is another alternative. Another stable oxidation state for sulfur is 4+ (SO32-)
  6. If you write the reaction, you'll see that after converting the ions into their respective ones, there will be some shortages of small atoms; here, oxygen and hydrogen counts are unbalanced; we easily conclude that a water (or hydroxide) molecule should be added to the proper side to balance both electron and atom counts.

About Physical Chemistry-related issues, I must admit that this is my weak point. But you may try to find formation reactions of hypochlorite from chloride and thiosulfate from sulfate (or vice versa)

chem_tr said:
  1. Write the half-redox reactions, assuming that the sulfur is to be oxidized from sulfide (2-) to sulfate (6+); eight electrons are released in this half reaction. So, if hypochlorite provides only two, since Cl(+) to Cl(-) requires two electrons, multiply this with 4 to balance the electrons. Remember that no electron can be free in redox reactions.
  2. Combine these two half-redox reactions to obtain a balanced reaction.
  3. Convert them into more useful ones like ClO- for Cl+. For sulfide, you'll do the conversion as S2- to SO42-.
  4. Now, why did I choose sulfide? Oxygen in sulfate never wants to be oxidized, and as sulfide is bigger, it has less control over outer shell electrons; so they can be easily modified.
  5. Since hypochlorite is a good oxidizer, I presumed that a full oxidation scheme is to be followed; however, oxidation states lower than 6+ may also be possible; it may only involve sulfur, I mean, just remove two electrons from sulfide to obtain elemental sulfur, this is another alternative. Another stable oxidation state for sulfur is 4+ (SO32-)
  6. If you write the reaction, you'll see that after converting the ions into their respective ones, there will be some shortages of small atoms; here, oxygen and hydrogen counts are unbalanced; we easily conclude that a water (or hydroxide) molecule should be added to the proper side to balance both electron and atom counts.

About Physical Chemistry-related issues, I must admit that this is my weak point. But you may try to find formation reactions of hypochlorite from chloride and thiosulfate from sulfate (or vice versa)

You're awesome at this stuff, can i add you to my msn, so that i can email some questions when i need help on them?

Last edited:

1. What is a net ionic equation?

A net ionic equation is a chemical equation that only includes the species that participate in a reaction. This means that any spectator ions, which do not undergo a chemical change, are not included in the equation.

2. How do you calculate the enthalpy change for a reaction?

The enthalpy change for a reaction can be calculated by using the enthalpy of formation values for the reactants and products. The enthalpy change is equal to the sum of the products' enthalpy of formation values minus the sum of the reactants' enthalpy of formation values.

3. What is NaOCl and Na2S2O3?

NaOCl is the chemical formula for sodium hypochlorite, which is a bleaching agent commonly found in household bleach. Na2S2O3 is the chemical formula for sodium thiosulfate, which is used in photography and as an antidote for cyanide poisoning.

4. Why is it important to calculate the enthalpy change for a reaction?

Calculating the enthalpy change for a reaction allows scientists to determine the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during the reaction. This information is important in understanding the thermodynamics of a reaction and can be used to predict the feasibility and direction of a reaction.

5. Can the enthalpy change for a reaction be negative?

Yes, the enthalpy change for a reaction can be negative, indicating that the reaction is exothermic and releases heat energy. This can occur when the products have a lower enthalpy than the reactants, resulting in a negative value for the enthalpy change.