Why Does a Crane's Load Cell Show Different Weights While Lifting and Lowering?

In summary, there are two winches attached to the same shaft of motor M1, along with two moving pulleys (3 and 4) and a fixed pulley (5). The load being lifted is 130 tons and is measured by a load cell at pulley 5, which reads 32.5 tons when the lifting is stopped. However, when the load is actually rising, it is only measuring 30 tons. This is in contrast to when the load is being lowered, where the load cell reads 36.2 tons. This discrepancy is causing difficulty in adjusting the safety relay to 110% of the nominal load. Upon further investigation, it appears that the figures for raising and lowering the load may be reversed
Marinel
As you can see in the attached doc, we have two winches on the same shaft of motor M1, two moving pulleys ( 3 and 4 ) and a fixed pulley (5).
The load is 130 Tons, and we can measure that with a load cell at pulley 5 ( 32,5 Tons) when we stop the lifting of the load.
But when the load is rising we measure only 30 tons! Note that we have a cable of steel with 30mm diam. and the rising speed is about 1m/min.
When we lower the load, the load cell measures 36,2 Tons.
Can someone explain this? This is a real case and my problem is to adjust the safety relay to 110% of nominal load, which is impossible with this beahviour of the system!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
seems to me you must have the figures reversed for raising and lowering the load since raising it should be more than 32.5 and lowering it should be less than 32.5

I understand what you say, but when is raising shows 30 Ton and when go down shows 36,2 Tons.
I have checked the system and load cell at pulley 5 is OK ( I have already changed it by another one ). The pulley doesn't move at all, only slightly when the movement starts.
Also I have checked the repetibility and all time with the same behaviour.When we put load on the floor, load cell goes to zero tons.

1. How do pulleys work in a crane?

Pulleys in a crane are used to change the direction of the force needed to lift heavy objects. The pulleys are connected to cables, ropes, or chains, and as the pulleys rotate, they reduce the amount of force necessary to lift the object.

2. What is the role of forces in a crane?

Forces play a crucial role in a crane's operation. The force of gravity pulls the object being lifted downwards, while the force applied by the crane's motor or hydraulic system lifts the object upwards. These forces must be carefully balanced to ensure the safety and stability of the crane.

3. How is the weight of the object being lifted calculated in a crane?

The weight of the object being lifted is calculated using the formula: weight = mass x gravity. The mass of the object can be determined by weighing it, and the standard gravitational acceleration on Earth is 9.8 meters per second squared.

4. Can multiple pulleys be used in a crane?

Yes, multiple pulleys can be used in a crane to increase the mechanical advantage and reduce the amount of force required to lift heavy objects. This is achieved by using a combination of fixed and movable pulleys, also known as a compound pulley system.

5. How is the stability of a crane maintained while lifting heavy loads?

The stability of a crane is maintained by using a counterweight system. This involves attaching a weight to the opposite end of the crane's arm, which helps to balance the weight of the load being lifted. The position of the counterweight can be adjusted to ensure the crane remains stable throughout the lifting process.