Could a model rocket be launched into space by balloon?

In summary: Assuming atmospheric drag is a significant fraction of the total energy, the rocket would need to have a lot of energy to make it all the way to space.
tackyattack
Say you had a small platform lifted by a high altitude balloon capable of reaching 30 miles above the earth. And on the platfrom you had a small model rocket. If you launched this small rocket from 30 miles above the earth, could it reach the Kármán line? How powerful would the rocket have to be?

Physics news on Phys.org
tackyattack said:
Say you had a small platform lifted by a high altitude balloon capable of reaching 30 miles above the earth. And on the platfrom you had a small model rocket. If you launched this small rocket from 30 miles above the earth, could it reach the Kármán line? How powerful would the rocket have to be?

The escape velocity is

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}}[/tex]

The total kinetic energy required would be [tex]\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

r is the distance from the center of the Earth to your platform
M is the mass of the earth
m is the mass of your rocket
G is the gravitational constant

The amount of power you need depends on how quickly you want to get it to space. I do not know the limitations of a model rocket.

30 miles is a VERY slight addition to the radius of the earth, so unless the model rocket is right on the edge of being able to reach escape velocity from the surface, it won't be able to from 30 miles up, and I don't think there are any model rockets that can come close to escape velocity.

The advantage of launching from 30 miles is the reduced drag, which is a big deal for a small rocket. It will definitely make a difference, but you still need a heck of a rocket. Nothing amateur built has ever come close.

Balloons reaching 30 miles are also not of those amateur built, if they are suspected to carry any load...

Good point.

Well if it is any help the r is measured in meters. So 30 miles becomes like 48,000 more r's

Earth radius is about 6,300km. You are adding to it 48km, or about 0.75% r. You should look at ratios of relevant quantities. Not absolute numbers.

Well, as I understood, the OP only wants to reach 100Km mark, not to attain orbital velocity. Still, assuming you start at 50Km (30 miles) altitude, ignoring the question how you get there and ignoring air resistance for a moment, the delta-V required to cover the remaining 50km would still be sqrt(2gh) = approx 1km/s or about 3M. I have serious doubts model rocket can get to 3M. I guess a dedicated individual can build such a rocket but it would not be a model rocket anymore.

Delta Kilo said:
the delta-V required to cover the remaining 50km would still be sqrt(2gh) = approx 1km/s or about 3M. I have serious doubts model rocket can get to 3M. I guess a dedicated individual can build such a rocket but it would not be a model rocket anymore.

Rifle bullets can exceed 1km/s, so perhaps this speed wouldn't be so difficult to get attain...

Yes, model rockets can reach space from a high-altitude balloon. (The first was in 1997 - http://www.rocketryplanet.com/content/view/16/95/ )

The cost has dropped massively since then, and the parts can be bought cheaply from amateur stockists (eg. http://www.randomsolutions.co.uk/Random_Aerospace/Balloons.html )

The current frontier (holy grail) is having a payload reach space and return to a launch site, and many groups (eg. http://ukhas.org.uk/ ) are working with systems such as ArduPilot and running tests with powered parachutes or stable balloon altitude systems for more stable gantries (One was tested today - see the post about PicoAtlas at http://groups.google.com/group/ukhas )

Anyway, to answer the question as to how powerful the rocket needs to be:

http://www.rocketryplanet.com/images/stories/features/16/2.gif

So-chan

LostConjugate said:
The escape velocity is

...irrelevant, because the given goal was to reach the Karman line, not to escape Earth, or even to go into orbit.

Balloon launch was commonly used in early sounding rockets, because it can directly add tens of km to the altitude achieved (simple altitude being the goal of such rockets), and the reduction in drag adds even more, particularly on a small balloon-loftable rocket. Van Allen did a lot of work with such "rockoons".

Reaching 100 km this way with amateur equipment would not certainly be cheap or easy, but is certainly possible. Amateurs have broken 100 km from the ground, after all:
http://www.hobbyspace.com/Rocketry/Advanced/records.html

LostConjugate said:
The escape velocity is

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}}[/tex]

The total kinetic energy required would be [tex]\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]
That would be the KE obtained upon reaching escape velocity, right? Then the total energy required to achieve escape would have to include atmospheric drag. I assume that (energy lost to drag) is a significant fraction of the total energy required?

cjameshuff said:
...irrelevant, because the given goal was to reach the Karman line, not to escape Earth, or even to go into orbit.
I think the point was to demonstrate the order of magnitude of energy that must be produced by a group intent on getting anywhere close to orbit.

mheslep said:
I think the point was to demonstrate the order of magnitude of energy that must be produced by a group intent on getting anywhere close to orbit.

And again, that's irrelevant. The question was not about reaching orbit.

Delta Kilo said:
... I have serious doubts model rocket can get to 3M. I guess a dedicated individual can build such a rocket but it would not be a model rocket anymore.
The Go-Fast rocket reached 6M according the Wiki reference Jeff K found. I suppose those "amateurs" were amateur only in the sense they weren't being paid for that shot.

1. Can a model rocket be launched into space by a balloon?

Yes, it is possible to launch a model rocket into space using a balloon. This method is known as high-altitude balloon launch and has been successfully used by amateur rocket enthusiasts.

2. How does a balloon launch work?

In a balloon launch, the balloon carries the rocket to a high altitude, usually above 100,000 feet. At this altitude, there is less air resistance, allowing the rocket to reach higher speeds and eventually break the Earth's atmosphere.

3. What type of balloons are used for this type of launch?

High-altitude balloon launches typically use weather balloons made of latex or polyethylene. These balloons are able to expand to a large size as they ascend to higher altitudes.

4. Is it safe to launch a model rocket using a balloon?

As with any type of rocket launch, there are risks involved. However, high-altitude balloon launches have been carried out safely by following established safety protocols and obtaining necessary permits.

5. What are the benefits of using a balloon launch for a model rocket?

Launching a model rocket using a balloon allows for higher altitudes and speeds compared to traditional ground launches. This can provide valuable data and insights for future rocket designs. It also allows for a more cost-effective and accessible method for amateur rocket enthusiasts.