Bad Religion and Evolutionary Biology at Cornell

In summary, Greg Graffin has a PhD dissertation from Cornell available. It is titled "Evolution, Monism, Atheism and the Naturalist World-View: Perspectives from Evolutionary Biology". It is 252 pages long.
samoth1
For any of the Bad Religion fans here, Dr. Graffin now has his PhD dissertation from Cornell available. It is in paperback book form titled "Evolution, Monism, Atheism and the Naturalist World-View: Perspectives from Evolutionary Biology". 252 pages.

http://www.cornellevolutionproject.org/

I've been a fan of Bad Religion for almost a decade. I plan on picking the book up after the semester's over. Greg has a masters in geology from UCLA as well... very interesting guy.

Biology news on Phys.org
Is there an audio version of the book? I'd love to hear Greg sing about Evolution, Monism, Atheism and the Naturalist World-View. I have been a Bad Religion fan for about 4 years...

Well, I am in hte process of reading the issue you give the link for.

A simple question: I did not got your point of "bad religoin fans", can you clarify it for me?

Moses said:
Well, I am in hte process of reading the issue you give the link for.

A simple question: I did not got your point of "bad religoin fans", can you clarify it for me?

Bad Religion are a 80's-present So-Cal punk band (I think they are So-Cal). They are a huge influence to just about every American punk band out there, and I think they or members of Bad Religion own the Epitaph Record label.

jimmy p said:
Bad Religion are a 80's-present So-Cal punk band (I think they are So-Cal). They are a huge influence to just about every American punk band out there, and I think they or members of Bad Religion own the Epitaph Record label.

and the conncetion to the good doctor?

Dr. Greg Graffin is the singer and founder of the band.

Greg founded the punk rock band (now more 'alternative punk') Bad Religion in 1980, and they put out their first LP when he was 17. Greg was born in Madison, WI, and later moved with his parents (both professors) to SoCal. He attended uni there and graduated with a BA in anthropology. Went on to UCLA for a masters in geology... he did field work in Bolivia, I believe. Went to Cornell around 1990 or so, and took a leave of absence from '94-99 for the band/wife/kids, and returned to complete his PhD in '03. Not bad for a singer of a punk rock band.

Epitaph was founded by Gerkowitz, their guitarist.

[sidetrack] Samoth1 (just checking my ESP skills) : You're not, by any chance, a fan of Metallica and the GB Packers, are you ? [/sidetrack]

Gokul43201 said:
[sidetrack] Samoth1 (just checking my ESP skills) : You're not, by any chance, a fan of Metallica and the GB Packers, are you ? [/sidetrack]

I currently live in Wisconsin, but I don't follow football. I'm a fan of Metallica ... before the bus accident in '95 where all the members of the band died and MTV found talantless short-haired facsimiles to appeal to the masses in order to make lots of money (True story! I swear!).

Why do you ask? Other than to check your ESP skills? :biggrin:

My ESP doesn't work very well. It only tells me that you probably have an interest in physics. I think I need more practice or something.

samoth1 said:
Why do you ask? Other than to check your ESP skills? :biggrin:

Just inspired by another thread on astrology. How many Wisconsinites (which I guessed you were from your location) are not Packer fans ? I guess you're in the minoiry there. And the reference to "wherever else I may roam" was indicative of a Metallic affinity.

Well, one out of two ain't bad. Need more practice, though ... :grumpy:

Greg Graffin

I know these posts are old...But you guys claim to be fans of Bad Religion and Greg Graffin and you don't even have your facts straight, except one person who told about him(not sure of name). It's Brett Gurewitz! Not Gurkowits of what ever was said..I know you can be a fan, but if your going to talk about a personas great as Greg Graffin at least know what your talking about! Please! I didn't mean any offence by the btw!:smile: :smile: :redface: :wink:

1. What is the connection between Bad Religion and Evolutionary Biology at Cornell?

The connection between Bad Religion and Evolutionary Biology at Cornell is that both subjects are often studied and discussed at Cornell University. Bad Religion, a punk rock band, has also been known for their thought-provoking lyrics that touch on topics such as science, evolution, and religion. This has led to the band forming a relationship with Cornell's Department of Evolutionary Biology and participating in events and discussions at the university.

2. How has Bad Religion influenced the study of Evolutionary Biology at Cornell?

Bad Religion has influenced the study of Evolutionary Biology at Cornell by bringing attention to the subject and sparking discussions and debates. The band's music and lyrics have also inspired some students to pursue the study of evolution and biology. In addition, the band members have participated in events and discussions at Cornell, providing a unique perspective on the intersection of science and religion.

3. What events or collaborations have taken place between Bad Religion and Cornell's Evolutionary Biology department?

Some of the events and collaborations between Bad Religion and Cornell's Evolutionary Biology department include a panel discussion on science and religion, a lecture series on evolution and society, and a special concert at Cornell where the band performed and participated in a Q&A session with students and faculty. The band has also collaborated with Cornell scientists on research projects and provided insights and perspectives on the connection between science and religion.

4. How has Bad Religion's music addressed the topic of evolution?

Bad Religion's music has addressed the topic of evolution in various ways. Some of their earliest songs, such as "Faith Alone" and "Man With a Mission," touch on the conflict between science and religion. In later albums, the band explores themes of natural selection, evolution, and the advancement of human civilization in songs like "New Dark Ages" and "Age of Unreason." Their lyrics often challenge traditional religious beliefs and promote the acceptance of scientific evidence and theories.

5. What impact has Bad Religion and Cornell's Evolutionary Biology collaboration had on the public?

The collaboration between Bad Religion and Cornell's Evolutionary Biology department has had a positive impact on the public by promoting critical thinking, open-mindedness, and the understanding of science and evolution. The band's music and discussions at Cornell have reached a wide audience, sparking important conversations and encouraging people to question their beliefs and explore new ideas. This collaboration has also showcased the value of interdisciplinary partnerships and the importance of bridging the gap between science and society.