1D Thermo problem, something is wrong

• Thread starter BlasterV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    1d Thermo
In summary, the armadillo initially leaped upwards with a speed of 3.70 m/s and reached a height of 0.56 m in 0.21 seconds. Using the equation V^2 final = V^2 initial + 2ad, the armadillo's final speed was calculated to be 1.64 m/s. To reach the peak of its jump, the armadillo will rise an additional 0.14 m before beginning to fall back down. However, there may be some discrepancy in the calculations as the final answer may vary slightly depending on rounding and significant digits.
BlasterV
A startled armadillo leaps upwards so that it rises to .56 m in a time .21 s.

Note: I use a web-submitting thing for my answers. So it tells me what is right and wrong.

A: What was the armadillo's initial speed when it left the ground?
3.70 m/s - this part is correct.

B: What is its current speed at the height .56 m?
1.64 m/s - this part is also correct.

C: How much higher will the armadillo rise before it reaches the peak of its jump?

This is causing some huge problem. No idea why either, my answer seems to be right to everyone I show it to.

V^2 Final = V^2 Init + 2 ad

V^2 Final = 0 (it'd be that instant it stops before beginning to fall back down)

0 = ( 3.70 m/s ^ 2 ) + 2 (-9.8 m/s) d

This will give the full distance.

= 13.69 - 19.6d

19.6d = 13.69
d = .695 m
d = .70m (significant digits)

how much will it rise above the .56?

.70m - .56m = .14m - Says I am wrong.
.70m - says I am wrong.
.13 (maybe I rounded bad) - still says I am wrong.

My work looks perfect, can someone please tell me what I did wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
To two digit accuracy, 0.14 m certainly is correct.

A: Based on the initial speed of 3.70 m/s and the acceleration of -9.8 m/s^2, the armadillo would reach a maximum height of 0.89 m before falling back down. This means that it would rise 0.33 m higher than the given height of 0.56 m. The discrepancy in your calculation may be due to rounding errors or incorrect use of significant figures. Double-check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct number of significant digits. Additionally, you can try plugging in the given values into the equation d = v^2 / 2a and see if you get the same result. If not, there may be an error in your equation setup.

1. What is a 1D Thermo problem?

A 1D Thermo problem refers to a one-dimensional heat transfer problem, where heat is transferred along a single axis or direction.

2. What are some common issues that can arise in a 1D Thermo problem?

Some common issues that can arise in a 1D Thermo problem include incorrect boundary conditions, incorrect material properties, and incorrect assumptions made in the analysis.

3. How can I identify if something is wrong in a 1D Thermo problem?

One way to identify if something is wrong in a 1D Thermo problem is to compare the results to known solutions or results from similar problems. If there is a significant difference, it may indicate an error in the problem setup or analysis.

4. What steps can I take to troubleshoot a 1D Thermo problem?

If something is wrong in a 1D Thermo problem, some steps to troubleshoot the issue include double-checking the boundary conditions and material properties, reviewing the assumptions made in the analysis, and verifying the equations and calculations used.

5. How can I prevent issues from arising in a 1D Thermo problem?

To prevent issues from arising in a 1D Thermo problem, it is important to carefully define and set up the problem, properly validate and verify the assumptions and equations used, and thoroughly check the boundary conditions and material properties before beginning the analysis.