Photoelectric effect and wavelengths

In summary, the question is about finding the wavelength of the incident light that ejects electrons from a photoelectric surface with a maximum speed of 4.20 * 10^5 m/s. By using the formula Ekmax = hf - W, where Ekmax is the maximum kinetic energy of the electrons, h is Planck's constant, f is the frequency of the incident light, and W is the work function of the surface, the correct wavelength (4.07*10^-7 m) can be calculated.
punjabi_monster
Here is a question I am having trouble with :uhh: , thanks for your help.

Electrons are ejected from a photoelectric surface with a maximum speed of 4.20 * 10^5 m/s. If the work function of this surface is 2.55 eV, what is the wavelength of the incident light?

This is how i tried to solve this question:
Ek=(1/2)mv^2
Ek=(1/2)(9.11*10^-31 kg)(4.20*10^5 m/s)^2
Ek=8.04*10^-20 J

E=hc/λ
λ=[(6.63*10^-34 Js)(3.00*10^8 m/s)]/(8.04*10^-20 J)
λ=(2.48*10^-6 m) :yuck:

The actual answer is (4.07*10^-7 m).

Can you please tell me the correct way to do this question. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
punjabi_monster said:
Here is a question I am having trouble with :uhh: , thanks for your help.

Electrons are ejected from a photoelectric surface with a maximum speed of 4.20 * 10^5 m/s. If the work function of this surface is 2.55 eV, what is the wavelength of the incident light?

Ek=(1/2)mv^2
Ek=(1/2)(9.11*10^-31 kg)(4.20*10^5 m/s)^2
Ek=8.04*10^-20 J

E=hc/λ
λ=[(6.63*10^-34 Js)(3.00*10^8 m/s)]/(8.04*10^-20 J)
λ=(2.48*10^-6 m) :yuck:

The actual answer is (4.07*10^-7 m).

Can you please tell me the correct way to do this question. Thanks.

Your Ek was correct, but you forgot to include the energy needed to eject an electron from the surface 2.55 eV.

Would you use this formula:
Ekmax = hf - W

That's right.

[tex]E_{k_{max}}=E_{photons}-W[/tex]

Because the incident photons give away all of their energy to the electrons. So all the electrons have to do to break free from the metal is to escape its "potential well" of energy 2.55 eV.

Last edited:
oooo thanks...i got the right answer!

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon where light, when shone on a metal surface, causes the emission of electrons from the surface. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887 and later explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

2. How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when a photon of light, with enough energy, strikes a metal surface and transfers its energy to an electron on the surface. This causes the electron to be ejected from the metal, creating a current. The energy of the photon must be equal to or greater than the work function of the metal for the photoelectric effect to occur.

3. What is the work function?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of a metal. It is different for each metal and is dependent on factors such as the metal's composition and temperature. The work function is measured in electron volts (eV).

4. How does the wavelength of light affect the photoelectric effect?

The wavelength of light is directly related to the energy of the photons. As the wavelength decreases, the energy of the photons increases. Therefore, shorter wavelengths of light (such as ultraviolet) have a higher likelihood of causing the photoelectric effect compared to longer wavelengths (such as infrared).

5. What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is significant because it provided evidence for the particle nature of light, as proposed by Einstein's theory of relativity. It also led to the development of the photoelectric cell, which is used in various applications such as light meters, solar panels, and digital cameras.