Radar Detectors in Australia: Truth or Scare Tactic?

In summary: I've been wondering about this too! In summary, radar detectors don't work in Australia because the police carry them with them and they use VG-2 technology to detect the signals.
Civilian2
I was reading something today about it being stupid to own a radar detector in Australia because the police carry radar detector detectors with them. Is this even possible?

I would have assumed that radar detectors don't send out a signal of sorts but only attempt to detect incoming radar waves. I of course don't have the knowledge to make a valid judgement though.

Truth or scare tactic?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have also wondered this, perhaps the Electrical Engineers could easily answer.

Yes, it is possible. I did a quick search and it's called VG-2 technology. Still not sure how it works. Of course the high-end detectors are "immune" to VG-2. I have absolutely no idea how it works, I'm just glad radar detectors are legal where I'm at.

Here :

http://radar.757.org/VG2.htm

Seems like a detector emits ever so slightly when it looks for radar. "Detector detectors" search for this emission. In other words, detection is not a "passive" process. I suppose detection involves the slight emission resonating with the incoming wave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard heterodyne radio receivers use a local oscillator for tuning. When you want to tune a particular radio station, you adjust the frequency of this local oscillator. The output of the local oscillator is mixed (heterdyned) with the incoming RF, which brings the desired signal down to baseband.

Unfortunately, some of the energy from the local oscillator sneaks its way back out the antenna and actually gets broadcast by the antenna. (The electricity doesn't know which direction it's "supposed" to travel!)

As a result, nearly all radio receivers actually broadcast a weak signal indicated what frequency they are tuned to. If you're listening to 105.3 FM on your car stereo, you'll actually be broadcasting a very weak 105.3 MHz carrier signal. Similarly, your radar detector is nothing more than a radio receiver operating in the GHz bands, and it also broadcasts some of its local oscillator energy. This leaked signal is not very strong, but it's strong enough for a cop to use a device like the VG-2 to catch you.

There are other radio receiver topologies that use purely passive electronics and won't leak this way, but they're huge and expensive and fragile. You wouldn't be able to hang one from your windshield, but you might be able to tow one on a trailer. Of course, that'd just make detection even easier.

- Warren

What makes passive devices so huge? Radar dishes? antennas? the long wavelengths involved?

Passive receivers would have to made out of a lot of filters -- tons of inductors, capacitors, and resistors of myriad values. They would have to be pretty precise, too, which means they'd be expensive. You'd also have to tune them regularly, as the seasons change.

- Warren

chroot said:
Standard heterodyne radio receivers use a local oscillator for tuning. When you want to tune a particular radio station, you adjust the frequency of this local oscillator. The output of the local oscillator is mixed (heterdyned) with the incoming RF, which brings the desired signal down to baseband.

Unfortunately, some of the energy from the local oscillator sneaks its way back out the antenna and actually gets broadcast by the antenna. (The electricity doesn't know which direction it's "supposed" to travel!)

As a result, nearly all radio receivers actually broadcast a weak signal indicated what frequency they are tuned to. If you're listening to 105.3 FM on your car stereo, you'll actually be broadcasting a very weak 105.3 MHz carrier signal. Similarly, your radar detector is nothing more than a radio receiver operating in the GHz bands, and it also broadcasts some of its local oscillator energy. This leaked signal is not very strong, but it's strong enough for a cop to use a device like the VG-2 to catch you.

There are other radio receiver topologies that use purely passive electronics and won't leak this way, but they're huge and expensive and fragile. You wouldn't be able to hang one from your windshield, but you might be able to tow one on a trailer. Of course, that'd just make detection even easier.

- Warren

Cheers mate that's very informative.

1. What is a radar detector?

A radar detector is an electronic device that is used to detect radar signals emitted by police speed detection equipment, such as radar guns or laser guns. It alerts the driver when such signals are detected, giving them time to slow down and avoid a speeding ticket.

2. How does a radar detector work?

A radar detector works by using a radio receiver to detect the electromagnetic signals emitted by radar guns. When a signal is detected, the detector alerts the driver with an audible or visual warning.

3. Are radar detectors legal?

The legality of radar detectors varies by country and state. In some places, they are completely legal to use, while in others they are banned. It is important to research the laws in your area before using a radar detector.

4. Can a radar detector detect all types of speed detection equipment?

No, a radar detector can only detect radar and laser signals. It cannot detect other forms of speed detection, such as pacing or aircraft speed enforcement.

5. Do radar detectors really work?

Yes, radar detectors can be effective in detecting radar signals and giving drivers enough warning to adjust their speed. However, they are not 100% foolproof and should not be relied upon as the sole means of avoiding speeding tickets. It is always important to obey speed limits and drive safely.