How to reproduce plots from a reference paper to put in my own paper

In summary, reproducing plots from a reference paper for use in your own paper involves carefully studying and understanding the data and techniques used in the original plots, ensuring the same data and methods are used in your own plots, and accurately representing the results and conclusions of the reference paper. It is important to cite the source of the plots and to clearly communicate any modifications or adaptations made. Careful attention to detail and accuracy is crucial in this process to ensure the integrity of the original research is maintained.
Urmi Roy
I'm writing a scientific paper and I'm basing it on a set of simulations that I carried out. I have generated some plots and I need to show that my generated plots are exactly the same as the ones on a reference paper.
Obviously, I can't just copy-paste the plots from the reference. So how do I go about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
scan it in?

Urmi Roy said:
I'm writing a scientific paper and I'm basing it on a set of simulations that I carried out. I have generated some plots and I need to show that my generated plots are exactly the same as the ones on a reference paper.
Obviously, I can't just copy-paste the plots from the reference. So how do I go about this?

Is the reference paper copyrighted? If so, contact whoever has the copyright to ask permission to reproduce the images, and in your paper, indicate that you have obtained that permission.

You probably don't need to do anything except say "This plot is identical to figure xyz in [reference to the other paper]."

Copying the plot into your paper seems like a waste of space, quite apart from the copyright issues.

Thanks for the ideas! Scanning it in seems like an easy way to do it.My project instructor wants the plots from the reference and at the same time he seems to be really against the idea of copying them, even if I say that 'this is from so and so paper'.

Hmmm... I guess my previous response got deleted, prob because it was a single word/link. I'll expand upon it this time.

Use http://blueleafsoftware.com/Products/Dagra/, it's a free trial for 30 days, but it's worth every ($20) dollar. You import any picture file and place two lines for the axis. Then you place markers on the data points. Dagra you can load a picture that's at a 67.232° angle and Dagra will "straighten" it based on your defined axis.

When using it for my research, I contacted the PI of the paper to ask for his permission to use his results. Every one of them was fine with it. Even if you still don't want to publish their data, you can still use their data so that you can say, "The results of this test match the results of (reference here) within 2.5%."

Thanks, I think I'll try Dagra! I just hope I can use it properly.

Hey just wanted to drop in and say Dagra's awesome! Thanks a lot for the suggestion, AIR&SPACE !

No problem :biggrin:

I remember I downloaded the 30 day trial thinking "I'm just going to use it for the trial then get rid of it." Then I started using it and I was blown away, bought it within 10 minutes of downloading the trial, lol. It truly is an amazing program, filling an important need, at an amazing price (and a trial period to let you try it out). Simply awesome.

Glad I could help!

1. How do I find the data used to create the plot in the reference paper?

The data used to create a plot in a reference paper can usually be found in the Materials and Methods section of the paper or in an accompanying supplementary file. If the data is not provided, you can try contacting the authors of the paper for access to the data.

2. Do I need to use the same software or programming language as the reference paper to reproduce the plot?

No, you do not necessarily need to use the same software or programming language as the reference paper to reproduce the plot. However, it may be easier to replicate the plot using the same tools as the original authors. If you are using different software, make sure to carefully follow the methods and parameters used in the reference paper.

3. Can I make changes to the plot while still reproducing it accurately?

Yes, you can make changes to the plot as long as you are accurately reproducing the data and the overall message of the original plot. However, it is important to clearly state any modifications or additions made to the plot in your own paper.

4. Is it necessary to include the code used to create the plot in my paper?

It is not always necessary to include the code used to create the plot in your paper, but it is a good practice to do so. This not only allows for transparency and reproducibility, but it also helps other researchers to better understand and replicate your work.

5. How do I properly cite the reference paper when using their plot in my own paper?

When using a plot from a reference paper, it is important to properly cite the original source. This includes including the authors, title, journal or conference, publication date, and a link to the paper if available. It is also important to clearly state if any modifications were made to the plot.