Silly question about a motor and finding the required torque.

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the torque required for an AC motor to turn a metal plate at a specified RPM without binding or slowing down. The weight and diameter of the plate, as well as any additional weight placed on top, must be taken into account in determining the peak torque needed from the motor. This can be calculated using basic dynamics calculations and resources such as the "Smart Motion Cheat Sheet" PDF.
tectactoe
I say "silly" because I'm actually baffled that I can't figure this out. I'm just forgetting the basics and am stumped at how to correctly approach this.

Let's say I want an AC motor that is connected to a shaft which is, in turn, connected to a metal plate. I know the weight of the shaft and the plate, as well as the diameter of the plate.

How would I use that information to find out the torque required by the motor to turn the plate at the rated RPM without binding or slowing down?

And then, let's say I place objects of known weight on top of this plate, that will obviously add weight on the plate, but will not necessarily move WITH the plate. How could this be added into the equation?

Thank you for the help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
hi tectactoe! :smile:

at constant rpm (zero acceleration), the applied torque only has to equal the opposing torque, and that's just the friction from the axle :wink:

I posted this answer to another question, it generally applies to your question.

Your motors should be sized for peak torque. Account for all translational & rotational masses and determine the amount of torque required of the motor to accelerate those masses to the desired speed in the required amount of time. Sum everything, and that's peak torque. Your motor must provide at least that much.

This is basic 2nd year dynamics calculations. Websearch for a PDF document called "Smart Motion Cheat Sheet", it is summarized in there.

1. What is torque and why is it important for a motor?

Torque is a measure of a rotational force, or the ability of a motor to rotate an object around an axis. It is important for a motor because it determines the amount of work that can be done and the speed at which the motor can perform that work.

2. How do I calculate the required torque for a motor?

To calculate the required torque for a motor, you will need to know the weight of the object being rotated, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the acceleration or speed at which the object needs to be rotated. You can then use the formula T = F x r, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the required torque for a motor?

The required torque for a motor is affected by several factors such as the weight of the object being rotated, the distance from the axis of rotation, the type of motor being used, and the desired speed or acceleration of the object.

4. How do I choose the right motor for a specific torque requirement?

To choose the right motor for a specific torque requirement, you will need to consider the torque output of the motor, the operating voltage, and the speed at which the motor can rotate. You may also need to consider the size and weight of the motor, as well as any additional features or specifications that may be relevant to your specific application.

5. Can I change the torque of a motor after it has been selected and installed?

In most cases, the torque of a motor cannot be changed after it has been selected and installed. However, you can adjust the speed or load of the motor to change the torque output. If you require a significantly different torque, you may need to replace the motor with one that has a higher or lower torque rating.